Quantcast

Squamish steals "Mtn Biking Capital of Canada" from Rossland

Zorba

Chimp
May 25, 2010
Ok, It's always been a bit tongue-in-cheek that Rossland, BC, called itself the "Mountain Biking Capital of Canada" for decades. However, the founder of the Test of Metal recently trademarked the phrase and sent ceast and disest letters to Rossland. Here's the story:

http://www.squamishchief.com/article/20100929/SQUAMISH0101/309299981/-1/squamish01/squamish-now-officially-mountain-bike-capital-of-canada

What do you think? Here's my open letter to Mr. Miller and the Squamish Chief newspaper:

An open letter to Mr. Cliff Miller:

I read with great interest your effort to acquire the trademark for Squamish as the “Mountain Biking Capital of Canada.” Congratulations on successfully stealing what was previously a moniker used to fittingly, if lightheartedly, describe our home of Rossland, BC. Granted, we don’t have the proximity to Vancouver and Whistler, we don’t have the Olympic Legacy and we don’t have some of the world’s best rock climbing and sail boarding/kite surfing (oh wait, you’re already the Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada!). But, Mr. Miller, what we do have – in addition to some of the best skiing North America – is a truly remarkable mountain biking community that grew out of very beginnings of the sport. I will not deliver a history lesson in Mountain Biking in BC and Canada. But I do want you to understand that we have one of the most progressive little cities in the country in terms of mountain biking. We have had a highly organized and successful trail society managing 170 kilometres of legal mtb trails for well over a decade (which has served as a model for the rest of the province). We have hosted in the past some of the biggest events in the sport, including Canadian Nationals, and have what is possibly one of the most recognized epic trails in Canada – the Seven Summits. We have gone through many cycles of the sport, from world class racing to the very origins of the freeride movement (see early NWD films) and now progressive all-mountain and epic riding opportunities. I find it comical, and sad, that you feel “it seemed like the right thing to do.” Such disregard for fellow bike communities and your lack of knowledge – or appreciation – of the history of the sport is unfortunate. Good luck with the title, stealing a trophy is not the same as winning it.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I find it a little sad that it's now trademarked and obviously taken from Rossland which has used it for years. Rossland is a cool little town that was forward thinking in establishing a trail network to bring people there. They continue to promote the town based on the recreation in the area and it really is a stunning place to go ride.

Squamish is closer to where I live and I ride there too, with it being the outdoor recreation capital, did it really need another title? No, not really.

I'm sure Rossland will brush this off as Cliff being a bit silly and come up with a new logo. Maybe, "The epic mountain biking capital of Canada"?

Zorba

Chimp
May 25, 2010
I find it a little sad that it's now trademarked and obviously taken from Rossland which has used it for years. Rossland is a cool little town that was forward thinking in establishing a trail network to bring people there. They continue to promote the town based on the recreation in the area and it really is a stunning place to go ride.

Squamish is closer to where I live and I ride there too, with it being the outdoor recreation capital, did it really need another title? No, not really.

I'm sure Rossland will brush this off as Cliff being a bit silly and come up with a new logo. Maybe, "The epic mountain biking capital of Canada"?
You're right, and we've never taken it very seriously. Just a bit underhanded...and literally having to change marketing materials etc now.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
regardless of what they call themselves, Squamish will always be that place you have to pass through to get to whistler.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
regardless of what they call themselves, Squamish will always be that place you have to pass through to get to whistler.
Ha, that's funny and somewhat true. Squamish has good trails but I just rode some stunning stuff in Whistler, in and out of the park. I think Whistler/Pemberton > Squamish but there we go. By the time I've driven from Vancouver to Squamish I may as well continue to Whistler. :)

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Ok, It's always been a bit tongue-in-cheek that Rossland, BC, called itself the "Mountain Biking Capital of Canada" for decades. However, the founder of the Test of Metal recently trademarked the phrase and sent ceast and disest letters to Rossland. Here's the story:

http://www.squamishchief.com/article/20100929/SQUAMISH0101/309299981/-1/squamish01/squamish-now-officially-mountain-bike-capital-of-canada

What do you think? Here's my open letter to Mr. Miller and the Squamish Chief newspaper:

An open letter to Mr. Cliff Miller:

I read with great interest your effort to acquire the trademark for Squamish as the “Mountain Biking Capital of Canada.” Congratulations on successfully stealing what was previously a moniker used to fittingly, if lightheartedly, describe our home of Rossland, BC. Granted, we don’t have the proximity to Vancouver and Whistler, we don’t have the Olympic Legacy and we don’t have some of the world’s best rock climbing and sail boarding/kite surfing (oh wait, you’re already the Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada!). But, Mr. Miller, what we do have – in addition to some of the best skiing North America – is a truly remarkable mountain biking community that grew out of very beginnings of the sport. I will not deliver a history lesson in Mountain Biking in BC and Canada. But I do want you to understand that we have one of the most progressive little cities in the country in terms of mountain biking. We have had a highly organized and successful trail society managing 170 kilometres of legal mtb trails for well over a decade (which has served as a model for the rest of the province). We have hosted in the past some of the biggest events in the sport, including Canadian Nationals, and have what is possibly one of the most recognized epic trails in Canada – the Seven Summits. We have gone through many cycles of the sport, from world class racing to the very origins of the freeride movement (see early NWD films) and now progressive all-mountain and epic riding opportunities. I find it comical, and sad, that you feel “it seemed like the right thing to do.” Such disregard for fellow bike communities and your lack of knowledge – or appreciation – of the history of the sport is unfortunate. Good luck with the title, stealing a trophy is not the same as winning it.

If you have been using the phrase for so long then why not do something a little more progressive with it, like trademarking it—especially considering how forward thinking you are?

Step back for a sec and ask yourself what you're so upset about, the fact you didn't do anything about it yourself, or the fact that someone else had a mind to beforehand. It always sucks when someone steals you're thunder, but quite often the most annoying aspect of it is that we allow it to happen.

There are a crapload of communities that deserve the title in BC, so why should any one be able to proclaim it over the other? Squamish has had a lot to do with the history of freeride as well as the North Shore, from the beginnings, does that make them any less of a chance for the title? I haven't heard anyone from the north shore complain yet—though it is only a matter of time ;) I do envy the trail crew setup in Rossland and have mates that have moved there recently and are heavy into building and maintaining trails. It's just some words, that someon now claims as there own. Use it as motivation to go one better, don't get bitter and progress. Everything must happen for a reason and I think that if what you believe is true about Ross, then this will only make the town even better for Mountain Biking.

At the end of the day, we ride bikes, on trail and having a variety of awesome places to ride is what rocks. Who proclaims what is worthless at the end of it. If another place is better, words wont help it any more than it needs. The same goes the other way around.

Zorba

Chimp
May 25, 2010
"Step back for a sec and ask yourself what you're so upset about, the fact you didn't do anything about it yourself, or the fact that someone else had a mind to beforehand. It always sucks when someone steals you're thunder, but quite often the most annoying aspect of it is that we allow it to happen."

It never occurred to us that someone would have the audacity to steal it without even perhaps a challenge. I've never heard of anyone wanting to take the claim away before. And then send cease and desist letters? It's pretty low-down and the fact that it's a "business decision" to promote the Test of Meddling is heartless. Yes, it was lighthearted and dubious for Rossland as it is for anyone, including Squampton. What we had was two decades of tradition and history around the claim. It's unfortunate Squamish - or Cliff - couldn't muster up enough creativity to develop their own marketing scheme without having to take away something from someone else.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if it was used by your mountain for so long, can't it be claimed as prior art? as in, he can't trademark it since it was already in use?

either way, I will continue my boycott until I stop.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
just because he's convinced himself that squamish is the MTB captial of Canada doesn't make it so.....everyone in the area here thinks Cliff is off his rocker...and he is, because there is no way in the world squamish is the MTB Capital of Canada, as much as they want to believe it. This whole thing reeks of arrogance and also delusion. It's kind of a slap in the face to the entire mountain bike community in the area too, because all the clubs in the sea to sky corridor, or BC for that matter, have all been working hard at promoting the sport and to think somehow Squamish is more deserving of that title rather than any of the other numerous clubs and communities that have repeatedly raised the bar is pretty insulting. Fun place to ride, but definitely not what they think they are.

Zorba

Chimp
May 25, 2010
Yeah, time to look forward and roll on. Plus the cost of reprinting material, changing content blah blah blah

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If you have been using the phrase for so long then why not do something a little more progressive with it, like trademarking it—especially considering how forward thinking you are?

Step back for a sec and ask yourself what you're so upset about, the fact you didn't do anything about it yourself, or the fact that someone else had a mind to beforehand. It always sucks when someone steals you're thunder, but quite often the most annoying aspect of it is that we allow it to happen.

There are a crapload of communities that deserve the title in BC, so why should any one be able to proclaim it over the other? Squamish has had a lot to do with the history of freeride as well as the North Shore, from the beginnings, does that make them any less of a chance for the title? I haven't heard anyone from the north shore complain yet—though it is only a matter of time ;) I do envy the trail crew setup in Rossland and have mates that have moved there recently and are heavy into building and maintaining trails. It's just some words, that someon now claims as there own. Use it as motivation to go one better, don't get bitter and progress. Everything must happen for a reason and I think that if what you believe is true about Ross, then this will only make the town even better for Mountain Biking.

At the end of the day, we ride bikes, on trail and having a variety of awesome places to ride is what rocks. Who proclaims what is worthless at the end of it. If another place is better, words wont help it any more than it needs. The same goes the other way around.
The idea that people are commercial minded enough to feel a need to trademark a title rather than earn it speaks volumes.

I dont think anyones too pissed, just disappointed and a wake up call that cheezy invades everything when money and status get involved.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Who even listen to slogans like that anyway. Sucks about reprinting material though. Are just hand the stuff out and let the bastard sue you if he dare.

Rosslander

Chimp
Oct 1, 2010
Guess what- because Rossland was the "First to Use" the phrase Mountain Bike Capital of Canada in the early 1990's we have the continued right to use it. I feel bad that Cliff would have spent so much money on a trademark that he can't maintain or enforce- but according to the law as per below:

Assuming that a trademark qualifies for protection, rights to a trademark can be acquired in one of two ways: (1) by being the first to use the mark in commerce; or (2) by being the first to register the mark

So Rosslanders- please keep using it just to drive him crazy!! Plus it will cost him more in legal fees.

A title like Mountain Bike Capital of Canada needs to be earned and not bought!

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
"snap your fingers to turn off the lights...that was my idea!"

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
just because he's convinced himself that squamish is the MTB captial of Canada doesn't make it so.....everyone in the area here thinks Cliff is off his rocker...and he is, because there is no way in the world squamish is the MTB Capital of Canada, as much as they want to believe it. This whole thing reeks of arrogance and also delusion. It's kind of a slap in the face to the entire mountain bike community in the area too, because all the clubs in the sea to sky corridor, or BC for that matter, have all been working hard at promoting the sport and to think somehow Squamish is more deserving of that title rather than any of the other numerous clubs and communities that have repeatedly raised the bar is pretty insulting. Fun place to ride, but definitely not what they think they are.
He must hang out with climbers too much...

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
"Step back for a sec and ask yourself what you're so upset about, the fact you didn't do anything about it yourself, or the fact that someone else had a mind to beforehand. It always sucks when someone steals you're thunder, but quite often the most annoying aspect of it is that we allow it to happen."

It never occurred to us that someone would have the audacity to steal it without even perhaps a challenge. I've never heard of anyone wanting to take the claim away before. And then send cease and desist letters? It's pretty low-down and the fact that it's a "business decision" to promote the Test of Meddling is heartless. Yes, it was lighthearted and dubious for Rossland as it is for anyone, including Squampton. What we had was two decades of tradition and history around the claim. It's unfortunate Squamish - or Cliff - couldn't muster up enough creativity to develop their own marketing scheme without having to take away something from someone else.
I'm glad that you pointed out Cliff. Many people are throwing it on Squamish as if the entire town is to blame. No one even knew about it until this week, with the exception of maybe a couple of people.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'm glad that you pointed out Cliff. Many people are throwing it on Squamish as if the entire town is to blame. No one even knew about it until this week, with the exception of maybe a couple of people.
very true, don't get me wrong, I love riding in Squish and they're doing some amazing work, but so are a lot of other clubs in the province. Cliff just basically gave the finger to the whole BC Biking community, we should all be working together to get riders out here, not playing petty games about who's the 'capital'.

NWS

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
"Being the first to use the mark in commerce" is sufficient in US trademark law, but I'm not at all familiar with Canadian law. I'd be shocked if Canadian law were different, but it's worth checking with a lawyer. Let us know if your lawyer ends up sending an "F U" letter in response to the cease-and-desist.

And I totally agree that "Mountain biking capital of the World" is the next-best thing. (Make sure you apply for the trademark this time...)

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
they're doing some amazing work, but so are a lot of other clubs in the province..
True point and I can empathize with everyone in the other towns being frustrated with the move. I and many other Squamites are just hoping it doesn't end up backfiring on the community in the near future. It is a possibly, at least for the local provincial riders out there.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
True point and I can empathize with everyone in the other towns being frustrated with the move. I and many other Squamites are just hoping it doesn't end up backfiring on the community in the near future. It is a possibly, at least for the local provincial riders out there.
very much so, a few people I've talked to have already said it makes them not want to ride there....

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Insert "Original"....

"Original Mountain Biking Capital of Canada"

Print out a number of "Original" stickers and apply to printed material. Money saved, point noted.