Quantcast

Square taper sindle length

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What's the best way to figure out how short of a BB I can use? My kids' hotrock allegedly came with a 128mm wide BB spindle. I feel like this is massively wide for a tiny person with tin hips. It looks like I can go 20mm narrower without affecting clearance of the crank arms or chainring. That should make for a better q factor and potentially better shifting.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hmmm...so I dug through my bin and found a 107 as well as a 110mm spare. I tried the 107 but A) there's no collar so the guide is a no go, and B) the chainline actually got messed up so there was pretty serious strain on the chain in the largest gear.

I then tried the 110 which also provided clearance and added a collar which allowed the guide to fit, but the chainline was still shitty (duh) and now the ring rubbed on the guide.

I'm running out of time to get this done by her birthday, and I'd like to have it complete by then. I'm thinking about ordering a 119, which should give me an extra 5mm per side, correct the chainline slightly and also provide clearance for the guide. If there still isn't clearance, then I can run without the guide, but the bike is so light that I no longer have to ditch it. What do you think?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'll order up a 119, ditch the guide unless she really starts dropping chains, and I can run the 107 or 110 if the lighter and correctly spaced BB doesn't show up in time. Better to have the bike together than be missing a part.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

any reason this won't work? These cheapie BBs are all over ebay, super light and my 5 yo doesn't need to worry about strength or longevity...but what is the difference between a traditional square taper and a folding bike Dahon/Brampton BB? Looks like it uses an external tool, but otherwise pretty similar???

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

any reason this won't work? These cheapie BBs are all over ebay, super light and my 5 yo doesn't need to worry about strength or longevity...but what is the difference between a traditional square taper and a folding bike Dahon/Brampton BB? Looks like it uses an external tool, but otherwise pretty similar???
i won't say she's gonna die, but...
1567044826312.jpeg