Quantcast

Squeaky Disc

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Get some rubbing alcohol and clean the rotor. DO NOT touch it with your bare hands. The oil from you skin will make it squeal. Also use the alcohol to clean the brake pads and see if this helps.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
If it is a lite-weight xc bike, it could be due to seat-stay flex. This has been an issue for Fuels, and I'm sure some other brands/models.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Give them time to break in before you go screwing with them too much. Cleaning the rotor with alcohol is great, simple advise - give that a shot, then let them break in for several rides. If they're STILL squealing, then you should start trying the more drastic measures.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Also check the alignment on the caliper and such and make sure all the bolts are down tight. This is more of an issue with Hayes and their mounting system and you probably already checked this stuff but I've found that a misaligned caliper, just like an improperly toed in pad, can cause noise.

al

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Bath, UK.
Have you tried facing the brake mount. This works a treat on painted frames and forks in my experiance.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Yes it could, the closer they are to the rotor the less it takes to make them squeak. I had the same problem with mine and it was just a matter of sitting there and centering the caliper on the rotor perfectly. Since then haven't had a problem.