Quantcast

squeaky fox float rear shock?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my enduro started making a lot of noise two rides ago and it's become unbearable. i figured it was probably one of the pivots which needed some attention, but during last night's ride i decided to do a little investigation, and i think the noise is coming from the shock body, when it compresses.

has this happened to anyone? the only other air shock i've ever used is a Risse genesis, and it was silent as could be (it's particular failing was the cracking of the shock body...). should i squirt a little very light lube onto the shock shaft? or just send it in for a rebuild? or get earplugs and not worry about it?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I usually put a couple drops of Finish Line dry lube on my shock shaft when I clean/lube my chain or after I wash the bike. I also thought that my shock was making noise at one point and it turned out to be the front der. cable. When the suspension got compressed it was just enough shift that the cable was rubbing on the tire making a strange buzz that didn't really sound like something rubbing the tire and since it happened only when the shock was loaded I assumed it was the shock.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Wet everything down with motor oil. That's what all the customers at my old shop did. They swear by it.

Seriously though. Take the shock off and play with everything to see if you can isolate the noise.