Quantcast

Squish squish hooray

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My Float X2 is making squidgy noises. It's been sitting for a while. I know that this is a sign of "cavitation" and the internet tells me it needs a rebuild.

A) Is this accurate?
B) what are my options for rebuilds? I'd prefer to keep it cheap if possible, but I also want it done right.

I can send it to Avy for a retune at the tune of $250, but at that price I can buy a new shock to mess with and try short shocking my bike, which I've been dying to do. I have liked the performance of this shock enough to keep it around rather than replacing it with something else.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Same here on an older Pushed Float DPS. Right now I'm ignoring it by listening to the other squeaks and rattles emanating from my bike, but planning to send it here for a rebuild. $170 including shipping.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama

My Float X2 is making squidgy noises. It's been sitting for a while. I know that this is a sign of "cavitation" and the internet tells me it needs a rebuild.

A) Is this accurate?
B) what are my options for rebuilds? I'd prefer to keep it cheap if possible, but I also want it done right.

I can send it to Avy for a retune at the tune of $250, but at that price I can buy a new shock to mess with and try short shocking my bike, which I've been dying to do. I have liked the performance of this shock enough to keep it around rather than replacing it with something else.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is it making squishy noises when you ride it or just when you sit on it for the first time in months? If the latter could just be oil/grease in the balance port making funny noises as the positive and negative chambers balance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so I hear some squelch when I first bounce on it, but then it's pretty much just a normal oil wooshing sound (poo-whee, poo-whee)...the problem is I don't feel like there should be an oil wooshing sound....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My concern any time I've had a shock or fork making air-sucking noises, even when it doesn't seem like oil, is it seems to add a ton of damping that screws up the action.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so I think I might be OK. I think @Westy is right, the squelch I hear at first, then the noise is more like this:

Which from a few comments is normal?

Mine was making a similar noise so I decided to open it up to confirm. I had a spacer covered in grease next to where the ports are that connect the inner and outer air chamber. I cleaned it up and moved the spacer. All quiet now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
coil it nao
I've felt the urge to coil a fork but I kind of like the feedback a high friction rear shock provides and don't really care about suppleness out back.
you two are entirely too sensitive for me. I love my fork and shock- they are nice and progressive, extremely lightweight, and I don't feel any stiction or "high friction". I just want to know that my shock isn't going to explode.