Quantcast

SRAM 10 Speed Quick Link Question.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I consider myself a fairly competant home bicycle mechanic, but for the life of me cant figure out how to get this Quick Link Apart.

I watched some vids online of people just pressing them together and voila. Is there a trick with the newer black 10 speed quick links? I have had 10 speed on my last bike and it wasnt that big of an issue.

Also can you put a 9 speed quick link in its place without any issues?

Cheers

Chris.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
10 and 11 speed SRAM connecting links are PowerLock, not PowerLink. They lock into place when connected and are a one-time use item. Master link or some thin needle nose pliers will get them apart. I wouldn't run a 9-speed link on a 10-speed chain.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Wait. Sram 10 speed quick links are single use? Well, there goes the one reason I had for running Sram chains over Shimano...

Anyone know if the KMC 10 speed links are a) multi-use and b) compatible with Sram and/or Shimano chains?

Edit: Sorry missed the post above. Still, can someone confirm that KMC 10 speed links are good for multi-use?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Edit: Sorry missed the post above. Still, can someone confirm that KMC 10 speed links are good for multi-use?
Yep, they're fine.

I also maintain that the Sram 9 speed ones work fine on a 10s chain.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Aren't the Sram 9 speed quick links also labeled as single use?

The 10 and 9 speed links look the same to me and I've always reused the 9 speed ones. I fiddled with a Sram 10 speed link and it is definitely harder to remove than the 9 ever was.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
That line about 1 time use is bullschitt. I've reused them for the last 10 years. Explain how it's supposed to weaken the link by taking it on and off? At $6 a piece and probably less that a nickel to produce, I'm not buying one unless I'm out of used ones that I kept from the shop when people replaced their chains. I've NEVER had an issue and I'm not a light rider.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That line about 1 time use is bullschitt. I've reused them for the last 10 years. Explain how it's supposed to weaken the link by taking it on and off? At $6 a piece and probably less that a nickel to produce, I'm not buying one unless I'm out of used ones that I kept from the shop when people replaced their chains. I've NEVER had an issue and I'm not a light rider.
Are you referring to the 8 or 9-speed PowerLinks? If so then you are fine, they aren't single use links.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
are you from the future? sram 10spd mtb hasn't been out for a decade.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
KMC 10-sp chains are also of the locking variety... I had to buy thos g-d pliers to take it off last time Though that italian trick is pretty awesome... I'll definitely remember that out on the trails. thanks!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
What makes the 10 speed Sram link different from the 9 speed variety? They look the same to me?
Different dimensions and different tolerances where they interface. 9-speed and lower PowerLinks do not snap (or lock) together with the same resistance that the 10/11-speed PowerLock links do and can be removed by hand pretty easily. They are also color coded but that's pretty obvious and just a way to quickly choose the correct link for your chain. As for re-using 10 and 11-speed PowerLock links, go for it. I'm not going to risk eating sh!t due to a broken link that can be replaced for a few bucks.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've just jumped to 10-sp (I know, right?! welcome to 2010!) and I'm using a 9-sp SRAM link on my 10-sp Shimano chain. It works just fine.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been re-using the Sram 10 speed master links with no issues for the past year. The hardest part is getting the master link to lock again after taking it off- but once its on, it isn't going anywhere. Get these and make your life easier: http://www.parktool.com/product/p/master-link-pliers-mlp-1-2
this too.

though I've found that to get it to lock, I just put the link together on the bike, and just stand on the pedals and it will click into place. As time goes on, the 'locking links' begin to act like the old master links and can come off and on by hand.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
are you from the future? sram 10spd mtb hasn't been out for a decade.
Yeah, I am from the future. Got a problem with that?
Obviously I'm referring to the 9s ones. But for the 10s ones, there's no difference besides that small click. When I see broken chains, it's the outside link that blows open. I can't recall a sram or kmc missing link doing that. That small click is just a tiny nub. When was the last time your missing link freely fell apart on a ride?

As far as "spending the couple extra bucks", go for it. Keep dropping your $60 on a new chain and $6 on your one time use sram links. I'll take that commission (and your extra links)! Thank you!

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
From all I've heard, the 10speed one time use links are sometimes re-usable a few times if you've got skills and luck.

I bought a KMC missing link to go on my Shimano chain when I get around to shortening it another link. Right now it's chilling with no special link (pinned).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
For what it's worth, be aware that I was unable to use a 10 spd SRAM link to fix an 11 spd chain on XX-1 out on the trail not too long ago. It was too wide and would not mesh with the cassette.

In other news, that trick for opening a quicklink is pretty rad, thanks for sharing.