Quantcast

SRAM 3.0 Derailleurs for 9sp setup?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Have any of you used Sram 3.0 Derailleurs for a 9spd setup? Jenson USA has them for front and rear for $5 and $15 repectively.
The descriptions list them as "Designed for 7/8 speed drivetrains." As long as the travel range/spread is there, the shifter does the indexing... so assuming this to be true, they could very well work with a 9spd setup.

Does anyone have some insight or experience with this? I though it would be a great way to save a bundle for a commuter bike.
Btw, I have X7 shifters.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FD410A00-Sram+30+Front+Derailleur+Oe.aspx

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RD410A00-Sram+30+Rear+Derailleur+Oe.aspx

thanks.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
maxyedor said:
I've set up the front der. and it works quite well. The pullies on the rear are likley to wide for a 9 speed chain, and the quality is pretty low.
great - thanks for the information.

Hmm... do you think that's the only limitation? I wonder if it's worth just trying it... $15. hmm.. :think:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't think it would work. You usually can't go from a lower gear # derailleur to more gears on the cassette, but you can go the other way.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wumpus said:
Aren't 8sp and 9sp cassettes the same width?

Well according to Sheldon's spacing chart, there is only a hair over a mm difference. I would say that it would work.
That's kinda what I was banking on, but they're suggesting that the pulley might be too wide to fit the narrow 9spd chain...

Anyone w/ actual experience would be great, but I'm really thinking of just going for it... afterall, it's $15 :)

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
looks like it's gonna work! :) the pulleys are just fine... I'll throw it on later this week & let everyone know.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
in case anyone missed it or thought it was an april fools joke ;) - bump