Quantcast

SRAM deraileur tuning/setup

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hey guys, can someone please give me a quick outline how to setup/tune a x9 deraileur from scratch, starting with putting the cable on? I can get it somewhat right but I'd like to know the exact procedure please

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
This video shows you how to do it with their road derraileurs, the only difference with the x9 is that you have the cable tension or barrel in the shifter, not the derraileur

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
there are probobly a few different way you could go about this ill show you mine:

here are some steps:

1. set shifter to highest gear(9), smallest cog. roll the pedals forward, untill the chain is in that gear too. pull the cable taught, and fix it to the cable bolt on the der.

2. set upper limit first, then lower limit: shift into the biggest cog (1), and adjust the limit w/ corresponding set screw. Hint: look from the back/undernieth the der+cassette to best see the line up of the chain onto the cog. do the same on the other side, in the smallest cog (9).

3. This is the critical step. Put the shifter in the 2nd gear position. ( second largest cog), and use the barrel adjuster at the shifter to put the chain in line with that second largest cog. by setting it in while its in the position for 2nd gear, it should be the right spacing to line up every other gear.

again, this is the way i do it, and im sure there are others. give this a try, and it should be set up.