Quantcast

Sram Force/Rival feedback

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
First post on a non-gravity related forum. I'm looking for a new road bike for my training (probably racing in the future too). I'm set on a frame (Canondale System Six), and have the choice between groupsets (Rival or an FSA/Ultegra mix). Coming from a mountain background, I'd really love to use the Sram stuff, but I'm concerned about the durability.

Has anyone been rocking one of the groupsets since they came out? (Actually, I know a few guys have based on some searching...) Any feedback would be appreciated, especially in terms of wear and durability. Based on my MTB experiences, I'm dubious about the chainring quality and the strength of the cassettes...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'm loving mine after 3k miles. I can't comment on the rings because I'm using the Race Face Cadence, and the SRAM cassette shares time with an Ultegra cass due to different wheelsets for training/racing.

The RD has survived a crash with only a few scratches, fwiw. I've been very hard on the stuff(forcing shifts, sometimes 2 at a time out or corners), and the stuff hasn't skipped/broken/wimpered/cried/etc......ever.

I love the Rival stuff, and this is after putting 15k miles on Ultegra 9, and doing various races on a DA-equipped bike.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I have about 1500 miles on my Rival. I don't have Rival cranks, but have Sram rings on my cranks. I had some issues with my calipers, but Sram replaced them in an instant, since there was some pivot slop. I like the shifting. The only thing I really miss is the Dura Ace micro shift in the front. I do, however, have my band clamp set up and can run all 10 cogs with no noise. I have a guy at the shop with a TCR Giant that cannot do that. At 1500 miles, the chain still appears to have some life even. The shift levers seem to have a little play in them, but still work great.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've been very hard on the stuff(forcing shifts, sometimes 2 at a time out or corners),
I would not consider double shifting to be hard on a drive train or shifting unit, don't quote me now but... I routinely knock down 4 or 5 cogs from a track stand in a single thumb shift before I've crossed the intersection.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Uhm - since they haven't released their shift bits, wouldn't it just be cranks? I like FSA cranks fine. I'd give the Sram a go anyway though.
I have had alot of problems with the FSA cranks, more so than any other cranks i have installed. The Sram stuff works alot better. But yeah it would be just the cranks, but the whole Sram group is the way to go

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I would not consider double shifting to be hard on a drive train or shifting unit, don't quote me now but... I routinely knock down 4 or 5 cogs from a track stand in a single thumb shift before I've crossed the intersection.
I realize my post is a bit unclear; but I meant after decelerating into a corner I'll shift to a bigger cog(for obvious reasons). But shifting up 2 cogs at a time under power(while standing), or even up one cog under power isn't exactly nice to a drivetrain .

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I realize my post is a bit unclear; but I meant after decelerating into a corner I'll shift to a bigger cog(for obvious reasons). But shifting up 2 cogs at a time under power(while standing), or even up one cog under power isn't exactly nice to a drivetrain .
That is what I thought you meant - I do that all the time. When I say I sift up or down I'm referring to shifting down the cassette to a smaller gear or up the cassette to a larger gear. I've never had numbers on my shifters so I don't know if that is correct.

Anyhow I'll report back after my ride tonight just to make sure I'm doing what I think I'm doing... :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK - I shift down 3 cogs from a track stand & the same for bus chasing. Who is to say how much power I'm putting through the drive train? Anyhow - I have done this since my first 10 speed in the late 70s, I never knew any better. :)

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I don't think shifting down 3 cogs is as bad as shifting up 2 or 3. When shifting down, the derailleur's return spring is moving the chain, as opposed to the rider yanking on the cable shifting up.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I've got more. I went down in a slick corner this morning and scuffed things up pretty badly on the shifters. The double tap lever was bent to hell. I was able to mostly straighten it up. No pics right now, but I'll see what I can do. I hate to post pics of my bike with it all crashed, since I never posted it in an uncrashed state.

I wonder if the mag lever on Force would have broken. I may replace them with Force.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I've got more. I went down in a slick corner this morning and scuffed things up pretty badly on the shifters. The double tap lever was bent to hell. I was able to mostly straighten it up. No pics right now, but I'll see what I can do. I hate to post pics of my bike with it all crashed, since I never posted it in an uncrashed state.

I wonder if the mag lever on Force would have broken. I may replace them with Force.
You're saying this now?

I just ordered mine today... can't wait.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I thought I'd dig this up and post some feedback. Had the bike for a month now, close to 500ks on it (Should be more, I know, but I've been busy with other comitments). Anyway, stoked with the shifter feel and brakes- significantly better than my old 9speed Durace- it feels much more mechanical and less plastic-y, and the brakes are amazing. But... the whole front setup sucks. The derailleur is ok, although i wish it had a trim adjuster for the big ring as well, rather than just the small. But that i can live with.

Its the cranks and chainrings that i absolutley hate. Not only was I getting chainsuck when dropping down at the front, the big chainring is already as worn after 500ks as my old Durace setup was after 3,000. The chainsuck has already left a nice groove in the chainstay (poor system 6), so i'm less than impressed.

To top that off, the bottom bracket is woeful. Sure, its not the top of the line setup, but it doesn't spin as smoothly as it should. I have the same GXP bb on my 4x bike, and that still spins perfectly after nearly a year, not to mention cops a lot more abuse.

Anyway, I'm tossing up changing the crankset, bb and chainrings to the new Ultegra SL when it becomes available, or whether to just change the chainrings to Ultegra, and buy a new ceramic FSA bb. Both options are the same price, any recomendations?