Quantcast

Sram Gearbox??????

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
i gave them the info...hope it's legit.....sram is becoming so huge and sprawled out, they may as well make a DH bike with a proprietary gearbox, and just dominate the entire market......they obviously have the capability......the only thing they don't make is wheels/tires and a few other things.....they should just buy DT swiss, and kenda or something while they're at it......

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
This was at Interbike in Las Vegas.

The theories behind the idea are pure speculation.

Basically its a internal planetary gearing system for all bikes with ISDG mounts to hook it up to.

You will still have a rear derrailler and chain.

Every gear RPM will be reduced by about 50% and you will need less gears in the rear due to maximizing your drive forces VIA internal gearing system.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
This was at Interbike in Las Vegas.

The theories behind the idea are pure speculation.

Basically its a internal planetary gearing system for all bikes with ISDG mounts to hook it up to.

You will still have a rear derrailler and chain.

Every gear RPM will be reduced by about 50% and you will need less gears in the rear due to maximizing your drive forces VIA internal gearing system.

I don't have the slightest clue as to whatever this thing SRAM is working on but I find it hard to think that it would be wat you suspect it may be. Based on your description it sounds like what you've got there or at least what you are describing is effectively a wild front mech that is guaranteed to be less efficient. I don't see how that could be applied to either DH use where we only have 9 gears or XC where efficiency would play a greater roll.

I'm interested to learn more...

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i gave them the info...hope it's legit.....sram is becoming so huge and sprawled out, they may as well make a DH bike with a proprietary gearbox, and just dominate the entire market......they obviously have the capability......the only thing they don't make is wheels/tires and a few other things.....they should just buy DT swiss, and kenda or something while they're at it......

they cant buy dt because dt is with magura i believe,

ps thats not marc

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
its odd that its brand is truvativ, not sram. if it is simply that design above, i can see why it is truvativ. that was the first thing i noticed when going to the site.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Oh **** son, that german article closely resembles a design I've been working on. Sounds like their design is an On/Off design and only allows two frontal gear ranges and i guess 4 or 5 rear to match our current "1X9" standard in DS, MTX and DH. Mine looks very similar, but is a CVT with a (hopefully) 7%-10% gear range so no rear gears needed just a tensioner.

Gears and chain, most efficient design since 1902... or something like that

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
FYI the article states that the magazine does not know anything about the system at the description is only their suggestion to what it could be inside the system after seeing Mr. Herbold riding around on the system fully enclosed.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Is it just me, or will the chainring move backwards when pedaling forwards? Or does the center sprocket counter-rotate?
My conclusion exactly, I spent quite a while looking at it and twirling my fingers around thinking "I must be missing something here" :)

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
I would be disapointed if it only is a replacement of the front derailleur. Or am I missing something and is the planetary gear crankset replacing the derailleur set up?

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
FYI the article states that the magazine does not know anything about the system at the description is only their suggestion to what it could be inside the system after seeing Mr. Herbold riding around on the system fully enclosed.

Exactly. All I did was translate the article.

They said everything is 100% SPECULATION

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I would be disapointed if it only is a replacement of the front derailleur. Or am I missing something and is the planetary gear crankset replacing the derailleur set up?
What they have there, and what is described is more of an on/off design, where when its on, the unit will be locked and rotate as a whole, off it will go through its planetary gearing and reduce it by the amount the designer's want, prolly a small amount as to not create too wide of a gear range (if its for racing, if its for general biking, it may span 15% gear ratio change). What would be cool is if they could create a CVT out of it and allow it to have an on/off differential of 7-8% and then allow it to modulate infinately inbetween any of those settings, effectively eliminating the need for any rearward gears. Thats currently what im working on, and its funny cause from what you can see in the article, it looks similar to mine. creating the modulation is where the fun starts tho and i doubt they are messing with that. What they have there is epicyclic gearing (applied term of planetary gears) and has been around for close to 100 years, used on the exact same application. Scroll down like half way --> http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/Transport/bicycles/Sunbeam.htm Its old news, but its still efficient, and whats cool is you get 100% smoothness and feedback through the system (good for unicycles), unlike a ratcheting cvt.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Is it out yet? Has anyone ridden,seen or know anything more about it?

i got some stupid hype email today from sram with nothing more than a link to a hype website doing nothing more than, well....uh, build hype.

no images, no drawings...nothing but hype.

i even visited the sram booth and talked to a rep who told me that it was all e-rumor and nothing was true...i was like, "WTF?!? it was your company spreading the rumors!"

i'm getting rather sick of the mountain bike industry hypin' their sh!t over a year in advance. yeah yeah yeah, i want it and i'll most likely buy it, but this super-hype crap is getting old. it's almost like the mountain bike industry jumped the shark and is just as guilty of planned and percieve absolescence as any other industry draggin our plannet into a plastic waste land.:disgust1:

....i still want one, tho.:busted:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
i got some stupid hype email today from sram with nothing more than a link to a hype website doing nothing more than, well....uh, build hype.
no images, no drawings...nothing but hype.
i'm getting rather sick of the mountain bike industry hypin' their sh!t over a year in advance. yeah yeah yeah, i want it and i'll most likely buy it, but this super-hype crap is getting old. it's almost like the mountain bike industry jumped the shark and is just as guilty of planned and percieve absolescence as any other industry draggin our plannet into a plastic waste land.:disgust1:
....i still want one, tho.:busted:
Same, I agree, I don't want one. I'd rather a hub mounted in the frame(GT IT1,Lahar)even on a hardtail.
It may have some benefits, but at the end of the day, it'll weigh more than a front mech+two chain rings or a chainguide set up, for what benefit? Higher ground clearance? Better shifts(how often do you even use the front mech?,I don't know, haven't used one in ten years even on XC bikes).
It's still an interesting for other applications.
I guess it may be nice with my 5 or 6 speed rear wheels.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Same, I agree, I don't want one. I'd rather a hub mounted in the frame(GT IT1,Lahar)even on a hardtail.
It may have some benefits, but at the end of the day, it'll weigh more than a front mech+two chain rings or a chainguide set up, for what benefit? Higher ground clearance? Better shifts(how often do you even use the front mech?,I don't know, haven't used one in ten years even on XC bikes).
It's still an interesting for other applications.
I guess it may be nice with my 5 or 6 speed rear wheels.
I think that evil made or drew a proto hard tail DJ gear box bike. That would be cool.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I think I saw one of these a few weeks ago at the 2alpes.
It was on a Lapierre Spicy.
I must have been about 5in in diameter. I didn't see much as it flashed by and I was busy.
Seeing as it was small I don't see it could be that heavy. My main concern would be efficiency.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Crap...so this mean that if this HammerSchmidt thingy is revolutionary and actually beneficial...we're stuck with the choice of having to run a Truvativ crankset? Not sure I'm all that stoked about that....
I've never been all that excited about this media suspense bullshiit. Get all excited about a potential new product...only to find out it's a ****ing plastic color-matchable pedal.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
I can guarantee that the hammerschmidt design is rad and works well. It will be well worth the wait. And to those worried about efficiency...don't be. It's smooth as hell and just as efficient as a traditional system.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
I can guarantee that the hammerschmidt design is rad and works well. It will be well worth the wait. And to those worried about efficiency...don't be. It's smooth as hell and just as efficient as a traditional system.
and you're so sure about this because...? and what parts of a bike do are you referring to with "traditional system"?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
idk seems like a lot of hype to me. initially I thought this would be a true transmission. Now, based on what i've been reading, I find myself a little disappointed...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
idk seems like a lot of hype to me. initially I thought this would be a true transmission. Now, based on what i've been reading, I find myself a little disappointed...
I dunno... Somehow I've got it in my mind that they've made a revolutionary advancement in the use of the mostly ignored features of frontal gearing. I find the current setups crude and neanderthalic at it's best, yet I still run dual rings on all my DH bikes. I once read that the front rings are best used with this mentality: Front derailleur=happy legs, rear derailleur=a happy heart. So basically, use the front for a fast, obvious gearing change, fine tune it with the 8 or 9 rear gears. But slamming from a 36 down to a 22 in the front not only takes a few seconds to perform, but is also a fairly serious commitment of the legs and takes a lot of practice to time right. It SOUNDS like SRAM fingered out a way to make this smoother, more efficient, and the gear selection is changeable while the cranks are at idle! Which I guess I optimistically foresee as slamming into a berm at too high a rate of speed while simultaneously pre-selecting my exit gear??? COULD be sweet.... Dare I dream?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I dunno... Somehow I've got it in my mind that they've made a revolutionary advancement in the use of the mostly ignored features of frontal gearing. I find the current setups crude and neanderthalic at it's best, yet I still run dual rings on all my DH bikes. I once read that the front rings are best used with this mentality: Front derailleur=happy legs, rear derailleur=a happy heart. So basically, use the front for a fast, obvious gearing change, fine tune it with the 8 or 9 rear gears. But slamming from a 36 down to a 22 in the front not only takes a few seconds to perform, but is also a fairly serious commitment of the legs and takes a lot of practice to time right. It SOUNDS like SRAM fingered out a way to make this smoother, more efficient, and the gear selection is changeable while the cranks are at idle! Which I guess I optimistically foresee as slamming into a berm at too high a rate of speed while simultaneously pre-selecting my exit gear??? COULD be sweet.... Dare I dream?
Never thought about it that way... you make a really good point. I've never had a need to run more than a single chainring up front. Or maybe that was just how I perceived it. Also neither of the DH bikes I've ever owned could take 2 front chainrings...