Quantcast

SRAM on Demo 8 Problem

pntballpunk51

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
clifton *CPT REPRESENT*
I've been running my sram x.9 on my demo 8 for a little while and I've never been able to shift into my highest (9th) gear because the body of the derailleur hits the derailleur hanger. I don't have pics now but if any of you demo owner's know what I'm talking about please tell me. Thanks.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay you have a few things to try. first check your cable tension, loosen the cable and shift your cable into ninth gear, then pull your cable tight and see if that fixes the problem. next is the derrailure adjustments. thats why those two screws are there. from there make sure your chain line is good. this means you will have to check spindal length and maybee even replace bb. those are the procedures. chainline is the last resort.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Make sure you don't have too much chain. If you you do and there isn't enough tension on your rear derailleur, the lower cage will hit the body when you shift into your highest gear.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
and too little chain could rip the mech off at bottom out? i dont know what the demo chain stretch is like being fsr but something to check before taking a load of links out/

pntballpunk51

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
clifton *CPT REPRESENT*
nah its not chainline. i'm going to get my mechanic this week to take a look at it. he thought it sounded like too much chain too. right now i'm not worried about it since my next race isn't until october 1st. I'll try taking some links out this week and get some pics if that doesn't work. thanks!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay. easy way that i learned, from an experianced mechanic, is to run the new cahin threw the big ring (or the only ring up front) and the biggest ring in the rear with out running it threw the rear derrailure. pull the chain taught and take out all the usless links. problem solved man.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
yeah if its a hardtail
you wanna take the spring off and cycle the swingarm through its travel as well so as not to snap the chain/rip the mech off at full compression, if you did what you just said to a 223 or smiliar single pivot bike youd be in right trouble but as i said i dont know what the chain growth on a demo is but id check just in case

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
frznnomad said:
okay. easy way that i learned, from an experianced mechanic, is to run the new cahin threw the big ring (or the only ring up front) and the biggest ring in the rear with out running it threw the rear derrailure. pull the chain taught and take out all the usless links. problem solved man.
First take the spring out of your shock and bottom it out, then do as you said, but add one full link after measuring. If you go any shorter than that, you will rip your derailleur of your bike, and either brake your chain or pull the wheel out of the quick release. To be really safe you should assemble the drivetrain with chain and cycle the bike through the travel in the big/big combo before putting the spring back on.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
MisterMental said:
and too little chain could rip the mech off at bottom out? i dont know what the demo chain stretch is like being fsr but something to check before taking a load of links out/
I ride a Demo 8. There isn't that much chain growth. If he just gets a little tension on the derailleur in the highest gear, that should do the trick.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
woops i forgot one step. you just add two links instead of taking the spring out. just makes the step a little easier, or atleast thats what ive always done that and its always worked for me.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
MDBullit said:
just try adjusting the derailleur B-adjustment screw.
bingo! had the same problem with my orange derailur kept knocking the frame cause it was sitting too close dial out the b adjust until it clears