Quantcast

SRAM Powerlink in Horizontal dropouts?

Andy_c

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
Australia (not Austria)
As the title suggests, is it possible/advisable to run a SRAM chain & powerlink on horizontal dropouts?
I ask as I think the key feature of them is that with a derailer they're under constant pressure so always stay linked. Wondering if the same is true on a single speed for jump/street.

Advice welcome, new to the genre and building up bike from scratch! :D

Cheers
Andy_C

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I would go with a half link bmx chain. It is possible to run a powerlinbk chain, but that is only if you are riding a single speed xc bike with 1/32 sprocket and chain ring. It all depends on the width of your chain ring and sprocket. If they are 1/8, I suggest you get a thicker single speed chain.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Possible, but I wouldn't do it for longer than it took to acquire a better chain.
KMC 410H is cheap and strong. Buy 3 or 4 of them and replace often.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
powerlinks snap into place. even with the park tool specially designed to pop em open, it takes some effort.

Andy_c

Chimp
Sep 22, 2010
Australia (not Austria)
Thanks all. I'm going to give it a go, a simple solution and cheap enough to experiment with (and can use chain on other bikes if no good)

And:
even with the park tool specially designed to pop em open
Gosh! Interesting, I use a pair of pliers and pop them that way. And for reconnecting I use a 3 inch length of old wire coat hanger bent up at either end - so as to take the slack off the chain to fit. Cool if there's a tool for it though!