Quantcast

SRAM Trigger Shifters?

ditchmonkey

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Has anyone used those new trigger shifters that SRAM has advertised? Are they even available to the public?

mcj

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Brisbane Australia
Depends where you live I suppose, but they are certainly available in both 8 & 9 speed versions to suit Shimano/Dirt mechs and and 8 & 9 to suit Sram ESP mechs. From what I have read so far, people are pretty happy with them.

mcj

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Brisbane Australia
Unfortunately I can't comment on the Gemini Trigger shifter from Sram as the stupid @#$^%$ Australian importers haven't brought them in yet, along with the Sram Cassettes. I am trying to get hold of a Sram 5 8 speed 12-32 cassette, any takers?

Jul 1, 2001
Palm Beach, FL
I would be happy to get one here and ship it to you, but the shipping will be very high unless you can wait the 4 to 6 weeks for a surface shipment. I can pick one up from a discounter for US$ 24.99 + US$ 5.99 for them to ship it to ME. From here, it would be another US$ 18.75 for air shipment or US$ 6.65.

Let me know if you're interested.

mcj

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Brisbane Australia
Thanks for the offer Sand Dune King. Found a couple of mail order USA shops where they are down to $19.ooUS plus freight. I am going to try to get them from New Zealand first, just a loy easier, quicker, and cheaper.
I have Plasma and Centera rear mechs and Centera twist shifts. Would like to get some Attacks as well.
The Centera rear mechs are on special over here at the moment for $10 US. I've used one for over a year now, better than the xt it replaced.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
They're available in Canada but I don't know anyone who uses them yet. I have read in a magazine that the ergonomics are not great or that they have had a few complaints so next years will have differently shaped shift paddles. The ergonomics seem to make sense to me but I have not tried them on a bar to get a feel for it.

ridemonkey2

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Here
What's wrong with the one's Shimano makes? Why do we always have more than one company making the same kind of stuff. If only the first company to start something was allowed to make it they could get real good at it and drop their prices down lower.

mcj

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Brisbane Australia
Have you not heard of monopolies in business?
Why would a business invest money into research and testing to improve their product if it was the only one available?

Why would they sell it cheaper when they could sell it for a high price knowing that consumers had to pay that price because there was no alternative?

Competition is healthy amongst companies with the biggest winner being you and I the consumer.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You can't take it apart and fix it. I have an 8spd STI road lever which is only 7 1/2 speed right now. It takes about a block to drop into the 12 right now. Clicks kinda badly when I make that shift too. Can I take it apart and look into it. Sure. Can I put that watch like intricacy together again? I relly doubt it. Can I get a new 8 spd? I hope so 'cause if I have to go 9spd then I'll need a cassette, chain and probably rings too as they're probably too worn.

The thing I liked about grip shift was the simplicity and ease of examining the mechanism. Don't know about the SRAM triggers guts though.

Also if you wear a size 8 glove like me (that's small) then the ergonomics of the Shimano suck. Can't reach the paddles without moving my hand a lot. The thumb bit is fine but the fore finger paddle is not right for me.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Mountain Bike has reviewed the shifters. They suck. Bad ergonomics, hard to change cables, touchy triggers which auto shifted.