Quantcast

Sram vs shimano : whats the diff?

[evo]

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Toronto
I was looking to go with sram when buying parts but I bought a complete that came with XT. Was only going with sram cuz it looked cool and none of my buddies had it...but whats the real difference?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My opinion: More precise shifting, better durability, and better design.

But there are plenty of people out there whose blind devotion to Shimano will cause them to become outraged at the above statement :D

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
TheMontashu said:
hmm shimano has ALOT of chainstay slap that sram shifts crisper and is ALOT BIGGER of a company

Are you nuts, shimano is huge!

Used to be, shimano was the standard, and sram just made crappy grip shifts, but that was a long time ago, now sram makes great stuff too. I'd go SRAM if I had to buy new, they don't purposely make their old stuff obsolete. Like it was said above, more options. I'm still pissed Shimano got rid of the high end 8 speed stuff.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
SRAM still uses too much plastic for their derailleurs for my tastes. I do think the grip shift shifts more quickly but the ergonomics don't work well for my short fingers and you cannot brake and shift at the same time. Shimano works very well too. Don't listen to theMontashu. He has a hate on for Shimano.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
oldfart said:
SRAM still uses too much plastic for their derailleurs for my tastes. I do think the grip shift shifts more quickly but the ergonomics don't work well for my short fingers and you cannot brake and shift at the same time. Shimano works very well too. Don't listen to theMontashu. He has a hate on for Shimano.
New trigger shifters from sram. Best system out there in my opinion. Try and break the plastic on an X.0 derailleur. It's tougher than you think.

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
Then why do 80-90% of production bikes come with shimano?
How much plastic is in an x-7/x-7 derailleur?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
TheMontashu said:
ummm sram owns rock shocks and avid sram is for sure bigger
Have you heard of the sport of fishing?
Shimano happens to make a lots fishing reels too :rolleyes:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Shimano is a massive multi-national conglomerate that deals in quite a bit of business ventures, fishing being one of them. SRAM is a smaller company that deals exclusively with bikes. SRAM does build, IMHO, a better product. The reason you're not seeing it is because of the old mainstay Shimano, you can't just unseat the 15 year market leader overnight. It's happening, though, I'm seeing a lot more SRAM stuff on bikes.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think Shimano do golf now too. They are MUCH larger than SRAM. SRAM really only make mountainbike stuff other than chains and cassettes. It is certainly a good thing that SRAM are getting bigger though. Competition between Shimano and SRAM is good for us end users.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I would say they are pretty evenly matched now. Try a bike with sram and a bike with shimano and see which you prefere.

Being a gripshift user and having used sram for a long time my experiance is not as rosy as the new sram converts. The problems inherent in a derailleur sytem effect sram just as much as shimano in my experiance.

SpecTJ

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Sram is also made in the USA (last I heard anyway) and Shimano is not. I also hate how Shimano developes new technology but then makes it incompatible with anything currently on the market and forces you to upgrade with nothing but Shimano components.

I have an X.0 derailleur and despite the plastic and alloy bolts I have yet to break anything and I crash all the time. The grip shifters shift very precisely but you can't brake and shift but the new X.9 triggers sound awesome.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
SpecTJ said:
Sram is also made in the USA (last I heard anyway) and Shimano is not. I also hate how Shimano developes new technology but then makes it incompatible with anything currently on the market and forces you to upgrade with nothing but Shimano components.
But they all do it.You can't use any of the SRAM 1:1 ratio shifters and derailleurs with anything but SRAM derailleurs. Campy and Shimano road shifters and derailleurs are not cross compatible either. You can sort of fudge stuff to work but what's the point. We have numerous stem handlebar clamp sizes and steer tube sizes. Different disc mount standards. Different rotor sizes and pads are all specific to each brake. V brakes use different levers than canti's.

I'm not saying incompatibilities are good or bad, but to single out Shimano as if they were the only ones is not correct.

And Shimano have developed a lot of really good things too which have been copied by others such as indexing, integrated shifting and ramped and pined rings and cassettes. I think freehubs were a Shimano thing too. SRAM gave us twist shifting and 1:1 ratios and arguably stronger chains.

I get my shorts in a bunch though when people make specious statements about stuff when present no facts to base the comments on.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
err, making a 1-1 (and a 2-1 shimano-type as well) shifter/der is one thing. making integrated brake levers with the shifting, using mineral fluid (as opposed to DOT which everyone else uses) for hydros so you can't mix/match brakes/levers, only shipping disc brakes with splined rotors that only fit (new) shimano hubs is something else.

:mumble:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
dante said:
err, making a 1-1 (and a 2-1 shimano-type as well) shifter/der is one thing. making integrated brake levers with the shifting, using mineral fluid (as opposed to DOT which everyone else uses) for hydros so you can't mix/match brakes/levers, only shipping disc brakes with splined rotors that only fit (new) shimano hubs is something else.

:mumble:
Magura uses mineral oil too. And you can't mix and match any disc levers with other makes of caliper as far as I know. Dt Swiss make center lock hubs and others will follow because it is a way better attachment than 6 bolts. And Shimano's bolt on rotors work with their new calipers anyway.

Shimano still make separate XT and lower level hydraulic levers so the option is there to use SRAM with Shimano discs. In fact there are bikes at the LBS that come stock with XT levers and discs with Grip shift.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I like how you all disproved theMontashu's idea regarding Sram as a bigger company than Shimano, and instead of admitting wrong, he moves onto another topic that he knows nothing about. But I've already wasted too much space on him.
I use Shimano becaus I started with it, and as has been stated, you can only use their shifters with their derailleurs, for the most part. That's not to say I'm not happy. My drivetrain is dialed thanks to Shimano, well except for their chains, which suck (I use a Wippermann). Their stuff is reliable and readily available. If I had a choice to swap, I would however go to Sram just to try something else. The grass is always greener...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
erikkellison said:
I like how you all disproved theMontashu's idea regarding Sram as a bigger company than Shimano, and instead of admitting wrong, he moves onto another topic that he knows nothing about. But I've already wasted too much space on him.
theMontashu just likes to talk out of his ass. here he is now...

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
TheMontashu said:
lol i jest dont like shimano you guys are right they are bigger but sram does more for biking and i have good reson for not liking shimano
Dude, you don't even own anything SRAM. And what's wrong with the Shimano stuff on your bikes? Your bikes shift when you want them to, don't they? Where's all this anti-Shimano sentiment coming from? Quit sipping on the Haterade bro.

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Having tried both systems, I can say that I prefer my sram drivetrain over my old shimano ones. I used to have an LX / XT drivetrain, and my current X-7 / X-9 seems to shift nicer. I also prefer the thumb actuated shifters vs. the thumb / index ones that shimano use. Setting it all up was a breeze, and having the outer cable going directly to the derailleur in a straight line instead of doing a 180 like shimano also reduces friction a little (although barely noticeable.

Also, when I crashed and hit my shimano XT derailleur, I had to readjust it a bit, but I haven't touched the adjustments on my X-9 since it's been installed.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
TheMontashu said:
lol i jest dont like shimano you guys are right they are bigger but sram does more for biking and i have good reson for not liking shimano
SRAM does more for biking? WTF does that mean? Like coming out with huge innovations, providing race support and selling popular, cheap, functional products? Things that Shimano does all the time? Please.

Oh, your shifter blew up. Please. I had an X.9 shifter come to me that didn't work right out of the box. Stuff happens. I had issues with it but got it taken care of and moved on. I still run a SRAM chain, X.0/X.9 setup on my XC bike and XT on my DH with Ultegra on my CX bike. All of them are good, both companies make good products. Wake up people; just because one company is good or better than another does not mean that the other sucks. I've owned but and like both.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
TheMontashu said:
ummm sram owns rock shocks and avid sram is for sure bigger
SHIMANO ALSO MAKES ALL OF THE COMPONENTS ON CHEAP BIKES (70% of market)

SHIMANO MAKE FISHING REELS< ELECTRONICS ETC>.

WAYYYYYY BIGGER

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Ok both are great bike friendly companies. I prefer Shimano. I like the way you change cables on shimano triggers than I do Sram twisties. I like DH and some DJ every now and then. I don't like the halfpipe cause every now and then when I landed it would change gears. I also like being able to shift while braking. i do like the fact that SRAm is an American company though.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Yup, by picking up Truvativ, SRAM gets the splined BB interface, and is one step closer to truly rivaling Shimano. But, the component market is too diverse to simply state that one company is better than the other. SRAM chains are super reliable, shift great on Shimano drivetrains, and the PC link is a better reconnection method than the HG/IG "double pin" that Shimano has. This is because you don't need a chain tool and there's no potential for a stiff link. Shimano chainrings shift better than anything because seriously, have you looked at one of those things up close?! An almost extraterrestrial level of engineering goes into those muthas. Shimanos got titanium balls, as their policy of agressive innovation allows them to permanently change industry standards, seemingly at will. They're the single most significant company in cycling. But of course, in the end:
THE PERFORMANCE IS IN THE SETUP!

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Actualy, Sram could've picked up the splined ISIS interface at any point in time... it's free... if you want, you can start your own company tomorrow and start making ISIS BBs and cranks and you won't have to pay a cent to anyone. ISIS, if memory serves me right is a collaboration from Chris King, RaceFace and Truvativ...

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Begin making cranks and bbs from scratch, with only your transmission, brake and suspension expertise. OR... Aquire an established, respected name in the field?

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Andy B:
There's a modification you can make to a Shimano rr derailleur to eliminate the derailleur pivoting around its frame attachment point, (like the SRAM). It involves removing the spring and fashioning a plastic shim. This will make for a quieter ride. Although newer high-end Shimano rr derailleurs have a rubber bumber on them to lessen the effect. But I would not do this. What your SRAM propoganda video does not mention are the benefits of the Shimano design. By having that part of the derailleur pivot with counter-clockwise spring-tension, the Shimano derailleur maintains maximum chain wrap. This means there's more chain links in contact with more teeth of the cassette cog, in every gear. Drivetrain load is dispearsed over more surface area. Result: Chain and cassette are less strained and don't wear out as quickly. You are more likely to break a chain on a SRAM rr derailleur! Another benefit of the design, is that the Shimano derailleur maintains a little more tension on the chain which lessens the chances for chainsuck or deraillment.

the main diff. is the shift ratio dont try to mix the shifter and deraliur it wont work. go one or the other. by the way if you get sram DO NOT GET GRIP SHIFT it is ****tty. also the nice thing about sram is that the chais and cogs hold up longer. i had to replace my xtr stuff w/ it and i think it actually runs smoother and i know the cahin are better because i have inly seen one of them break and too many shimano chainsbreak. did i mention GRIP SHIFT SUCKS!

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Jeff 151 said:
Andy B:What your SRAM propoganda video does not mention are the benefits of the Shimano design. By having that part of the derailleur pivot with counter-clockwise spring-tension, the Shimano derailleur maintains maximum chain wrap. This means there's more chain links in contact with more teeth of the cassette cog, in every gear. Drivetrain load is dispearsed over more surface area. Result: Chain and cassette are less strained and don't wear out as quickly. You are more likely to break a chain on a SRAM rr derailleur! Another benefit of the design, is that the Shimano derailleur maintains a little more tension on the chain which lessens the chances for chainsuck or deraillment.
Sram don't have a pivot because the design does not need it. Shimano can only get the chain a few mm closer to the sprocket anyway as that is how close sram mechs keep the chain. Also unless you ride on tarmac the shimano mech is going to be bouncing all over the place and on average could be further away that the sram mech.
The theoretical small ammount of extra wrap isn't going to make much difference anyway. It might help a bit on the small sprockets where the chain is in contact with few teeth.
Anyone that has ever used a chain whip will be able to tell you that only the first three or four teeth are actually taking load from the chain. After the system gets worn and the chain starts to stretch it tends to get worse.