Quantcast

Sram x.0 carbon cage derailure with a 34t cassette?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey everyone, I believe i have the opportunity to pick up a full carbon cage x.0 set up, and am wondering how it will work out with my 34t cassette...

Before everyone rags on me for running a 34t, let me say i basically only run a middle ring, so i like having the range. I know there are some max teeth issues with the x.0 but with the longer cage model i should be able to run this right? Anyone have any experience with this?

It seems they have kept the metal cage model for larger chain wrap capacity as well as tooth count. I guess i am confused because of the following data:

SRAM 2006 X.0 long cage rear derailleur
Max Teeth: 34
Chain Wrap: 45
Non Carbon

SRAM 2006 X.0 med cage rear derailleur
Chain Wrap: 37
Carbon Model

So if i am running a 34 with only a 32/22 front ring will i be ok with the carbon?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Hey everyone, I believe i have the opportunity to pick up a full carbon cage x.0 set up, and am wondering how it will work out with my 34t cassette...

Before everyone rags on me for running a 34t, let me say i basically only run a middle ring, so i like having the range. I know there are some max teeth issues with the x.0 but with the longer cage model i should be able to run this right? Anyone have any experience with this?

It seems they have kept the metal cage model for larger chain wrap capacity as well as tooth count. I guess i am confused because of the following data:

SRAM 2006 X.0 long cage rear derailleur
Chain Wrap: 45
Non Carbon

SRAM 2006 X.0 med cage rear derailleur
Chain Wrap: 37
Carbon Model

So if i am running a 34 with only a 32/22 front ring will i be ok with the carbon?
I don't know if its "officially" okay but I do know someone that is running the X.0 long cage just as you described with no problems.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
DRB said:
I don't know if its "officially" okay but I do know someone that is running the X.0 long cage just as you described with no problems.
Right, i am doing that now, the long cage works great, but they dont make the carbon cage in a "long" it is only small and med. I will be going from the metal cage to the carbon model. I am wondering given my set up and the specs i provided if anyone thinks i will have any problems. Really looking for some experience with this one...

:thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
robdamanii said:
A lot of people aer getting away with mid cage X.0s with 3 rings and 11/32s. Just stay out of large/large or small/small.
Im thinking that if it is spec'ed out at 34t max capacity i should be able to run big big all the time, i mean "big" for me is 32t, not many of us run big rings around here there is no point for alot of the techy riding we have.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
well i run a med. cage x9 with a 34/24 and 11/32 in the back with no problems. i think you should be all set.

just run an 11/32 in the back you sissy!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Im thinking that if it is spec'ed out at 34t max capacity i should be able to run big big all the time, i mean "big" for me is 32t, not many of us run big rings around here there is no point for alot of the techy riding we have.
If you never use the big ring, then might as well get the mid cage. I know if I put my mid cage into big/big there's just a hint of slack left, enough to compensate for suspension travel if I shld accidentally put it in there on the trail.

If you're sizing for mid/big, you should be more than fine with mid cage.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Right, i am doing that now, the long cage works great, but they dont make the carbon cage in a "long" it is only small and med. I will be going from the metal cage to the carbon model. I am wondering given my set up and the specs i provided if anyone thinks i will have any problems. Really looking for some experience with this one...

:thumb:
I'm sorry I meant the med cage.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
yeah it will definitely work. i just looked at my bike and as it turns out i too am running an 11-34 in the back. so there is no reason for it not to work on your bike. im also running it on a fully with no issues.