Quantcast

sram x-7 stripped cable anchor bolt

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
anyone else managed to strip the cable anchor bolt on an x7 rear der.? I swear I'm not that hamfisted. Dang thing is new, right out of the box.

What I'd like to do is somehow press or drill the old bolt out and put a new one in. Has anyone had any luck doing this? Any alternative solutions?

I called sram and got the usual. They were super-helpful until they found out I wasn't calling from a shop and then they told me to talk to the hand. Sram: I love your products, but your service program is starting to cheese me off.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
I'm sure I could help out but did you strip the head of the bolt or strip the threads in the derailleur?

If you stripped the bolt head, you can just grab onto it with pliers right?

If you stripped out the threads, you can take out the bolt, buy a small set of helicoils. Drill and tap the hole according to the helicoil spec and put the bolt back in. It will be stronger than the original

good luck

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I have circled the part in question.

There is a bolt that presses into the der. Onto that bolt threads a nut/cap. I have stripped mostly the bolt, but it looks like the nut has stripped a little too.

It is an easy problem to fix if I could get the bolt out and put a different bolt, any old bolt, in instead. The trouble is that the bolt is not easily removable. It looks like there are little wedges driven in around the base of the bolt to lodge it in, which is what makes me think I might have to drill it out.

Attachments

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Ahh I see, is it actually a removeable part or is it a stud pressed into the frame of the der?

A dremel is your friend haha