Quantcast

Sram X-7/X-9 shifters

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
So I found a good deal on the X-9 shifter pods. Currently I have X-7 shifter/X-9 derailleur on my dh bike and I'm wondering if theres any difference in shifting between the two shifters? All I know is the X-9 has a bigger thumb lever. I guess this is good excuse to switch over from shimano over to Sram on my XC bike. :D

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I like how the X-9's have metal thumb thingys, not plastic, meaning the wont break as easily. I want to get them for my XC bike too. I already have X-7's.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Having used both I can say that I can not feel a difference in shift quality/precision. I also seem to break a lot of shifters so X.7 is nice cost wise.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
rpk1988 said:
I like how the X-9's have metal thumb thingys, not plastic, meaning the wont break as easily. I want to get them for my XC bike too. I already have X-7's.
They break easier, actually. I know a someone who landed a dirt jump wrong, and his shin met the shift lever and snapped off. If it were plastic it probably would have flexed a little.

I run an X.7 shifter/X.9 derailluer.

sn0wboarder

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
NJ
Whats up with sram bumping up their prices? I remember when the X.O derailleur used to cost $135, now its $200 on Jensonusa.com, they also had X-9 derailleurs for like $60 or $70 and now they want $90. What the hell???

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i can't believe that sram is doing the same as shimano for 06, and making it so only there stuff works with thier stuff, or you have to buy more of thier stuff...man it sucks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I can feel a minor improvement in the shifting of an x9 over an x7. However, I have found that the x9s are much easier to break. The thumb lever is made of very brittle aluminum. The plastic x7 bends instead of breaking.
I run the x7s now. The minor sacrifice in shifting crispness is worth the reliability.