Quantcast

SRAM X Generation Front Derailleur - Anyone running one yet?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm getting a slightly used SRAM X.9 rear derailleur and I was wondering if anyone is running the new SRAM X Generation front derailleur yet?

It looks as though it is pretty versatile in that it can be used as either top or bottom pull - is it also convertible to different size diameters too?

Has anyone taken the plunge on one yet? If so how do you like it??

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FD602A00

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I know a few peeps on MTBR have.

if you do a search you'll probably find some threads about it. People have been pretty pleased with them from what I've read. I'm probably gonna get one soon.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Ive had one on my chamelon for about month now and cant say Im overly pleased with it,

Im having problems with it rubbing, and cant adjust it out, if its adjusted so it wont rub in middle ring and 32t it will rub in the big ring and 12t and 11t on the back. Ive tried all sorts of angles and heights and cant get it any better.
Im running XT hollowtech 2s on the front with one spacer, it could be a chain line issue, but I didnt have a problem when running an XT mech.

oh yeah and the pivots have already got a fair amount of slop in them, enough that its quite visible, the first bit of cable pull will actually rotate the mech a bit before it starts to move outwards.

So yeah I see an XTR top mount in my chamelons future very shortly.

May 25, 2005
Bowie, MD
I have XTs all the way around was contmplating moving to SRAM Gen X or XTR any sugs? also can anyone tell me what I need to change to go from Hayes 9s to XTR discs?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Never had anything but good luck with XTR. I have had XT, LX, and some Gemini shifters all break on me. The X.0 stuff looks sweet, and apparently works well, but all the XTR stuff I've had has only worked flawlessly. Why mess with that?

J

JRB

XTR is hands down the best front derailleur. That's the old pivot plate ones though. I am sure the new ones are nice too.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Banga said:
Ive had one on my chamelon for about month now and cant say Im overly pleased with it,

Im having problems with it rubbing, and cant adjust it out, if its adjusted so it wont rub in middle ring and 32t it will rub in the big ring and 12t and 11t on the back. Ive tried all sorts of angles and heights and cant get it any better.
Im running XT hollowtech 2s on the front with one spacer, it could be a chain line issue, but I didnt have a problem when running an XT mech.

oh yeah and the pivots have already got a fair amount of slop in them, enough that its quite visible, the first bit of cable pull will actually rotate the mech a bit before it starts to move outwards.

So yeah I see an XTR top mount in my chamelons future very shortly.
Yikkes! :( I'm putting one on my 6 Pack this week! I'm hoping I have better luck!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
loco said:
XTR is hands down the best front derailleur. That's the old pivot plate ones though. I am sure the new ones are nice too.
How were they better? XT fr der was stamped and worked equally as good.

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
How were they better? XT fr der was stamped and worked equally as good.
It always shifted very crisply. I took an XT off to put it on. The XT made the shifter feel mushy. The XTR made it feel firm and clean, if that makes any sense. :think:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
loco said:
It always shifted very crisply. I took an XT off to put it on. The XT made the shifter feel mushy. The XTR made it feel firm and clean, if that makes any sense. :think:
Uh nope. It takes very little force and contact to move the chain up on to the bigger chainring. Even less to move it down to a smaller chainring which uses the plate/outside side of the derailluer right. Plus they had a hinge at the bottom/outside of the chain cage which would seem to flex (if enough force existed) more then the unified stamped cage of the XT. Depending on the version they basically all had the same mechanical action. The top swing top pull version of a XTR fr der always used a stamped version.

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
Uh nope. It takes very little force and contact to move the chain up on to the bigger chainring. Even less to move it down to a smaller chainring which uses the plate/outside side of the derailluer right. Plus they had a hinge at the bottom/outside of the chain cage which would seem to flex (if enough force existed) more then the unified stamped cage of the XT. Depending on the version they basically all had the same mechanical action. The top swing top pull version of a XTR fr der always used a stamped version.
Thanks for knowing so much about what has worked best for me. :think:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
been on mine for about 3 months and not a single problem...I use X.O gripshifters so I don't have to worry about the rubbing that Banga has spoken about above...D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ you don't have to worry about chainline issues but you do have to pay more attention when shifting. I'd rather find an indexed setup that works than revert to basically old-school friction shifting which works well once in a gear but takes more effort to select a gear. In that regard my GF's '73 Schwinn Suburban shifts like a dream. :D

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I have the same rubbing issue with mine. I usually can get it so it barely rubs on either the big ring / small cog or small ring / big cog but it never lasts long.

I'm using the x.7 shifter. I might have to try the old gripshift shifter I have laying around like BMXman mentioned. One click up or down would fix it.

As far as durability goes, I've seen no signs of trouble since I put it on in Feb of this year. How much do you shift with an FD anyway? Not much for me.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
about 6 months with one on my hardtail. mounted up easily. functionally, i can't tell a difference between it and the XT it replaced. though i'm using it with an oldschool thumbshifter, FWIW.

yep, comes with all you need to run on different size seat tubes, and to swap top or bottom pull.

my only beef is that it seems to be seriously overbuilt for a front mech. way more chunkiness to it than it needs.