Quantcast

SRAM X01 DH Drivetrain

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
this has to be the first time ever that a Dirt article was the clearest and most comprehensible: http://dirtmag.co.uk/featured/sram-x01-dh-weve-tested-the-future-of-dh-drivetrains-and-it-rules.html

though I suppose Jones wasn't the one who wrote, which might explain it!
This.

I stopped my subscription to Dirt after 3 years of the "Dirt 100" which was obviously just Steve Jone's favorites. Great mag but I couldn't stand his hard on for Orange bikes, anything SRAM and BOS suspension.

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Just to fuel the price discussion again, an actual statistic from a major german news (not bike related) magazin:

The people were asked how much they spent for a new bike in 2013.

0€ - 100€: 8%
100€ - 300€: 25%
300€ - 500€: 24%
500€ - 800€: 18%
800€ - 1000€: 7%
1000€ - 1500€: 5%
1500€ - 2000€: 2%
more than 2000€: 3%
undecided: 8%

The average value germans spent for a bike is 658€.

Assuming, that the group spending more than 2000€ for a bike is dominated by roadies, I don't see how the X01 DH group will ever deliver substantial revenue for SRAM. So I think its just an example of marketing strategies to present SRAM as a kind of technology leader or similar.

And if there are some less reflecting guys, that are willing to pay an astronomical price for a downgraded configuration, SRAM would not complain. BTW: In 1990 I was riding 5-speed cassettes, maybe this is something to come for 2016... :D

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Guys, I don't think it has been designed and put into production in order to bring Sram any big profit.
First of all, Shimano has got two DH/amlost-DH groups in offer. Sram has had none, till now.
They had to be innovative, even though it might be disputable.
It may be a image product, which some sponsored riders will get, some ppl will buy.
If I was not going to get it with new bike, next year, I wouldn't even think about buying it, and rather go for custom Shimano cassette, Zee mech with adapter for Sram X9 shifter.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
What about Freedom to buy what is obviously the right design. Instead of an obvious money grab. As mentioned BMX has done it. Why isn't DH like DH? With tough reliable products. Without self obsoleting technology.
I was in no way serious about the Freedom comment. JonKranked spends enough time in the PWN section that I think he gets where I was going with that.

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Can definitely see a small manufacturer producing a 7 speed one piece cassette that works on standard hubs with 10 speed spacing using similar tech to sram and coming it at half the price. If not someone should get onto it.

Last edited:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Can definitely see a small manufacturer producing a 7 speed one piece cassette that works on standard hubs with 10 speed spacing using similar tech to sram and coming it at half the price. If not someone should get onto it.

actually its good business idea. 3d printing is available, why not try mould a casette ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think I was so crosseyed at the 7 speed cassette that I missed the 10 speedidness of this setup. That's actually pretty cool, and people can possibly slowly convert to the latest and greatest without abandoning wheels, shifters, cassettes, chains, rings and derailleurs all at the same time.