Quantcast

SRAM X01 DH Drivetrain

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think it's cool that the derailleur will be offered in 10 speed, since that's the only part I'm interested in. Makes a lot of sense to have the shifting movement perpindicular to the cogs. Still think I'll wait and see if this comes in x9 DH in a year or two...

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
7-speed is a great application for DH, but XD driver-only will make a lot of people reluctant to consider this. Not sure the purpose for the N/W chainring and pulleys when most riders have chainguides on these bikes.

Last edited:

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
who even makes that drive configuration in a 150mm hub?
DT swiss

I'm not a big fan of using narrow chains on an application that sees a lot of stress.
The crank could easily be replaced with a narrow ring from any brand and a 10 speed cassette will still offer a quite optimal gear ratio for 99.5% of riders.
I really like the cassette and that guard thingy, but making it only xd compatible, with a flimsy chain, meh.

The 10 speed stuff on the other hand looks dece, hope it solves some problems the recent generations of sram derailleurs had

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
now that i think about it, there's at least a few companies that make an optional driver, right?

still, very limited compatibility at the moment
Most companies that make 150mm hubs also make 135/142mm hubs. And chances are, their freehub bodies are are the same throughout their range, meaning the same XD driver that everyone has been buying to convert the hubs on their Enderpo/trail/xc bikes will work for the respective company's DH hubs. And as far as I know almost every Hub manufacturer I can think of makes a XD driver for their hubs (if their in the business of making money of course).

As for the group in general, I think it's great. Road, XC, and Enderpo all have their "Gucci" drivetrains, why can't DH have one as well? I find it funny that every article on PB that featured a Pro's "Proto 7 speed drivetrain" would get 100 comments with people begging to make it available to the public. Now SRAM has, and everyone is bitching about the price and compatibility. Did people really think they would come out with a X7 level 7 speed drivetrain first? Of course not, but give it a year or two and like everything else in the cycling world, the trickle down technology will reach (semi) affordable levels. Haters gonna hate...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most companies that make 150mm hubs also make 135/142mm hubs. And chances are, their freehub bodies are are the same throughout their range, meaning the same XD driver that everyone has been buying to convert the hubs on their Enderpo/trail/xc bikes will work for the respective company's DH hubs. And as far as I know almost every Hub manufacturer I can think of makes a XD driver for their hubs (if their in the business of making money of course).
point being that it's something else you have to buy

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
You won't see 2014 bikes from big manufacturers speced with XO1 DH, because 2014 have been already produced. Some smaller/boutique makers can still deliver bikes with new components.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
seems a shame to waste all that spare freehub width. increasing flange spacing and/or reducing overall hub & bb widths seem like more optimal solutions. if you're buying into a new standard anyways. maybe even going back to 9 speed cog thickness & spacing to increase drivetrain longevity if you're going to be dropping $300 on a cassette.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
seems a shame to waste all that spare freehub width. increasing flange spacing and/or reducing overall hub & bb widths seem like more optimal solutions. if you're buying into a new standard anyways. maybe even going back to 9 speed cog thickness & spacing to increase drivetrain longevity if you're going to be dropping $300 on a cassette.
sram keeps the common sense can next to the trash can.

and FWIW - profile used to make a 135mm wide hub that was designed specifically for 6 speed (ie hub shell took up the extra width). R.I.P.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The new Sram XO DH deraileur is $277 MSRP.

Chain reaction has the Shimano Zee for $67. Or an Ultegra for 79. or a Sora for 29.

Choice made!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
This has got to be the only sport on earth where a company says, "We are gonna take some of your gears away and all the money out of your pocket!"

And a line forms.
Just like limited edition models of sports cars that get rid of the stereo, A/C, sound deadening, electric seats, and it's 20k more.

Last edited:

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
So they know we want simpler drivetrains with less gears on Dh bikes. Did they miss the part about not wanting super narrow 10/11speed chains?

One step forward, two steps back. Now come on Shimano! M830 deserves this....without the price and ridiculousness.

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Ok, I am not a gearing or drivetrain expert by any stretch but why did they make the gap in the gear set inside near the spokes and add a pretty good size guard there? I get the guard but if they would have brought the gear set in couldn't the guard have been thinner (less weight) and in turn wouldn't that have moved in the derailuer a little bit more out of the way of rocks, roots and ruts?

Then maybe utilizing spacers like on a DJ bike or single speed? On the outer part of the cassette body by the axle/drop out

Can someone help 'splain than to the drive train newb? Thanks

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Ok, I am not a gearing or drivetrain expert by any stretch but why did they make the gap in the gear set inside near the spokes and add a pretty good size guard there? I get the guard but if they would have brought the gear set in couldn't the guard have been thinner (less weight) and in turn wouldn't that have moved in the derailuer a little bit more out of the way of rocks, roots and ruts?

Then maybe utilizing spacers like on a DJ bike or single speed? On the outer part of the cassette body by the axle/drop out

Can someone help 'splain than to the drive train newb? Thanks

10t cog and xd driver? i haven't installed one but doesn't the cassette's 10t cog butt up against the freehub body and not fit over it like the rest of the cassette?

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Dat price.

It really is the ideal drivetrain for downhill however the cost to upgrade doesn't seem worth it. That said i'll go an xx1 on my current 10 speed setup with my xo cooks it. Maybe mod it to 8 speed maybe won't, won't affect how much fun i have on my bike so probably won't bother. The x-dome cassettes look trick though.

X-dome, x-horizon, x-acuation and x-sync +10 nerd points if you match the terms to the tech.

FirstAscent

Chimp
Apr 23, 2013
Alaska
So they know we want simpler drivetrains with less gears on Dh bikes. Did they miss the part about not wanting super narrow 10/11speed chains?

One step forward, two steps back. Now come on Shimano! M830 deserves this....without the price and ridiculousness.
Yup, I've already spec'd Shimano on my past/current builds, I like the idea of 7spd on the cassette for DH. but I'm not gonna switch to sram just because of it. maybe 2015 Shimano??

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Huh? Why the hate? Nobody HAS to buy it. My 9 speed SRAM/clutch shimano setup works well, I'll keep it till this technology gets to a price where I'm happy to smash into a rock without taking out a loan.

This all makes good sense. Cassette that goes to 10t cog, so you can run a 32 on the front and reduce chain guide hits on low bikes.
Narrow wide chainring - there are no down sides, and chains still get lost with chainguide a sometimes.
Better derailleur movement path - well it's betterer of course.
11 speed chain - well, yeah, that kinda sucks, but it will be compatible with all the new stuff coming out. Try buying a good 8 speed anything and you'll get what I mean. For a pure clean sheet design a dedicated 7 speed chain would be cool, but incompatible with everything else on the market and would have to cost a bomb as a very small product run.
Big arse spacer - if a hub gets built on a wider flange spacing to take advantage of these cassettes then it will be easy to swap out the spacer.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Oh, and price - it's a proper top end drivetrain, dedicated to downhill. It's never going to be a sensible price. Maybe in 2 years when we can buy it as x7 and the cassette weighs twice as much.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My $30 8spd cassette, $30 sram Attack shifter (set), stronger $20 8spd chain and my $80 105 short cage have been on my Remedy and Sunday since 2010 with no issues. It's nice to be able to afford some things because they're not marketed. As for the weight? There's one less cog so it's not that much heavier. It also leaves more money in my pocket and performs spot on. This in turn leaves a bigger smile on my face when I ride.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I also don't get all the hate...of course it's going to be expensive, it's Sram's highest end drivetrain, it's DH specific and it has a bunch of brand new tech. I've been to plenty of races where 25% of the riders (non sponsored) were riding the latest Carbon DH frame with the latest high end fork, Carbon wheels, brand new TLD kit with carbon D3 helmet. This drivetrain in for them, it's not for the guy that is riding a 4 year old frame with a clapped out fork with no rebound, skate shoes and camo cargo shorts. Just because I can't afford a Ferrari doesn't mean I don't think they're cool.

I also have a legitimate question, why do people talk about the chain being weaker when it's narrower? Isn't the change between 10speed and 11speed just the width of the pin? If the plate size stays the same and the pin becomes shorter, wouldn't that make the pin stronger? With all else being the same, then the chain would actually be stronger?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My $30 8spd cassette, $30 sram Attack shifter (set), stronger $20 8spd chain and my $80 105 short cage have been on my Remedy and Sunday since 2010 with no issues. It's nice to be able to afford some things because they're not marketed. As for the weight? There's one less cog so it's not that much heavier. It also leaves more money in my pocket and performs spot on. This in turn leaves a bigger smile on my face when I ride.
A cassette that lasts 4 years? How is this possible?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
point being that it's something else you have to buy
People have asked for this but it's not like sram is a charity and they will give it out for free. First 2 years is nerd tax, wait after that and there will be an affordable option.