Quantcast

Sram XX: Home of the $328 cassette

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I like the replaceable aluminum 36 idea, you probably won't run it much, and it's bigger the the aluminum rings in the front so I really wouldn't worry about it's life expectancy. $3524 with sid XX WC though is a stiff price.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Look up what an XTR 44 tooth chainring costs and get back to me...all that racer **** is stupid expensive.
Holy crap, I agree with Silver on something! Too $$y! Give me XT stuff that can take a hit, last and more importantly, be replaced for minimal beer money on Ebay!

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
parts are really becoming crazy expensive. i like the 2 ring crank idea. wonder if you can still run a bash guard on it? i agree with JohnE about the XT stuff. i don't think most will need such an expensive parts group but if you got it to spend who am i to tell you not to

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Mmmmmmm, XX 10sp shifter combined with an 11-23 Red cassette... :drool:
Yeah - nothing sounds better than skipping gears on a DH bike. :think:

I didn't pay attention to the XX stuff, but I know that they ditched open glide on the road. Thank God. My knee can't stand any more smashes to the stem because I skipped off. Dura Ace for me for now. I say all of that having two Sram road bikes. I love the controls, but the chains are stupidly loud and the cassette has nearly killed me 3 times.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yeah - nothing sounds better than skipping gears on a DH bike. :think:

I didn't pay attention to the XX stuff, but I know that they ditched open glide on the road. Thank God. My knee can't stand any more smashes to the stem because I skipped off. Dura Ace for me for now. I say all of that having two Sram road bikes. I love the controls, but the chains are stupidly loud and the cassette has nearly killed me 3 times.
I am trying to imagine a scenario where a cassette could kill you?? They don't typically fly off the bike and cut your jugular. Almost dying invariably involves hitting the ground unless you ride bikes differently in Texas. Just saying....

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Great, just what I need on my off road bike, tighter ratios so I can blow by more gears while I'm looking for one I can use and tighter spacing to make my drive train skip more effectively. Do we get narrower chains and wheels with more dish too? OH JOY!

Seriously, wasn't 9 speed bad enough? If you sneeze, this thing is going to be out of adjustment. I don't care how shiny it is, I hate it. If this bumps the 8 speed stuff out of production I'm going to start making my own shifters and cassettes. 6 speed, bitches! No dish, wide luxurious spacing, and meaty chains that you can smack on something without cringing. I know you guys at SRAM are German and all, but try not to engineer the fun out of riding. Thumb your nose at Shimano by making something cool because it's more robust, not by beating them to the 10 speed punchline. Fvck you and keep this s#it on the road bikes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Great, just what I need on my off road bike, tighter ratios so I can blow by more gears while I'm looking for one I can use and tighter spacing to make my drive train skip more effectively. Do we get narrower chains and wheels with more dish too? OH JOY!

Seriously, wasn't 9 speed bad enough? If you sneeze, this thing is going to be out of adjustment. I don't care how shiny it is, I hate it. If this bumps the 8 speed stuff out of production I'm going to start making my own shifters and cassettes. 6 speed, bitches! No dish, wide luxurious spacing, and meaty chains that you can smack on something without cringing. I know you guys at SRAM are German and all, but try not to engineer the fun out of riding. Thumb your nose at Shimano by making something cool because it's more robust, not by beating them to the 10 speed punchline. Fvck you and keep this s#it on the road bikes.
Sram is not German.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I am trying to imagine a scenario where a cassette could kill you?? They don't typically fly off the bike and cut your jugular. Almost dying invariably involves hitting the ground unless you ride bikes differently in Texas. Just saying....
Well, you obviously need to hear what happened so here it is. I stood to sprint from a stop light and mashed really hard. Because of the missing teeth on the cogs and where it was in the chain loop, the chain jumped off of the cassette. It was with so much force that I came unclipped. I caught everything about 40 degrees from the ground and got it all stood up. I was doing just about 25 mph, so smashing into the ground would have sucked. The other two times were during attacks on climbs. Both resulted in me smashing my knee into the stem. You're right, I likely wouldn't have suffered an aneurysm, but it would have hurt.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The 36t seems unecessary to me, especially when running a frickin' double ring. I used to do all my climbing on a 34t single with 11/32, and never had a problem making it up 99% of what I normally ride (including sandy, rocky steeps both down, and up). Although, I'm curious if the gear ratios are superior on this 20-speed setup versus a standard 27-speed.

But, those new Avid rotors look baller, and correct me if I'm wrong, but is the remote switch for the fork, the brake, AND the shifter all mounted with a SRAM Match-maker? I actually think that's pretty cool for XC purposes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The 36t seems unecessary to me, especially when running a frickin' double ring. I used to do all my climbing on a 34t single with 11/32, and never had a problem making it up 99% of what I normally ride (including sandy, rocky steeps both down, and up). Although, I'm curious if the gear ratios are superior on this 20-speed setup versus a standard 27-speed.

But, those new Avid rotors look baller, and correct me if I'm wrong, but is the remote switch for the fork, the brake, AND the shifter all mounted with a SRAM Match-maker? I actually think that's pretty cool for XC purposes.
Aren't you just super;)

I rarely shift out of my middle ring but when I do I need that low gear. Rarely for that particular climb but if I don't save my legs I'll be pushing my bike 40 miles later. Again this is a racer group, racing requires you to pace your effort which requires low gears.

Of course there are a buch of rich fat weight weenies that will want the group too.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Sram is not German.
You're right, but much of their drivetrain intellectual property came from Sachs, which was German. I was ranting, I confused the two. I like SRAM and what they've done with all of the companies they've acquired. If they can sell this shiny abortion more power to them. I'd just hope they don't try to phase out the stuff that works reliably.