Quantcast

Sriracha vs Cholula vs Tabasco vs Toms Red Hot

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Tabasco or Sriracha are the stand-outs, I love Srirachahaha but I also love a Bloody Mary and Srichimacha wouldn't work in there, but Tobascmao does work on Pizza. So, Tabasca.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Cholula for this guy, Sriracha is a staple though. I have a bunch of random stuff I got from Mexico (El Yucateco red and green, La Victoria, Mexico Lindo, Huichol, etc.) that I've been working through. Tabasco and Frank's Red Hot can suck it. I've never had Tom's Red Hot though... is that a thing?

Also, isn't there a hot sauce thread? Or even a thread about Hot Sauce if you dig really deep? That said, I respect your decision to ask a very pointed question regarding specific sauces. :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cholula. Everything else is somewhat, food-type specific. Cholula you can have on anything and it's good. The vinegar in Tabasco fucks up Asian food. There's something about Sriracha that doesn't meld with Mexican or Philly cheese steaks, and Tom's doesn't work with anything but 'Merican food. Cholula isn't perfect on Asian food, but it works.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I agree with @stoney they all work best on their own specific food types. So, one of each or none?

Would also have to have a scotch bonnet yellow mustardy type sauce too....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Cholula. Tabasco adds some spice sometimes, but I find Cholula to be far better. And yeah, the others are food-specific. I can't really get siracha to work on many other non-siracha foods.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Cholula. Everything else is somewhat, food-type specific. Cholula you can have on anything and it's good. The vinegar in Tabasco fucks up Asian food. There's something about Sriracha that doesn't meld with Mexican or Philly cheese steaks, and Tom's doesn't work with anything but 'Merican food. Cholula isn't perfect on Asian food, but it works.
Stoney nailed it IMO

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Sriracha had a supplier issue a while back, not sure if I like the newer stuff better than the old, this based on one bottle.

Can you actually taste the difference? The new supplier's peppers are in circulation now, so maybe, but I remember a while back people were up in arms because the sauce was "ruined", but since the peppers get fermented for a year, none of the new batch was even in circulation yet.

Sriracha is the correct answer to the question given the choices. It's good on the largest variety of foods, and the only one made with fresh peppers.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I always have a bottle of that around, but I feel like all of this has been covered in the Hot Sauce thread.
lately I have been making a blend of 1/4 yucateca XXX and 3/4 Yellow Bird Habanero, it hits the sweet spot for me.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I obviously love hot sauces that are not made with vinegar but I do love some spicy vinegar on some dishes. Got turned onto Habanero Vinegar for pulled pork or tenderloin. Basically it's a glass jar with Habaneros, garlic, ginger, green onions, salt and pepper, then filled up with Apple Cider Vinegar. If you use vinegar with the mother, then you can just keep replenishing the peppers and other ingredients as they break down and get used. This can be kept up for years developing some amazing flavor.

Back when I was bouncer sized I could eat an entire one pound, smoked, pork tenderloin drown in Habanero vinegar by myself.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
one of my favorites that you can't always find is grace hot sauce. It's just cheap shit, but it's really good with plenty of heat but it builds nice and slow. It's not just like a blast of toxic death fire inferno that kills your taste buds. I got some down in Sint Maaaaarten back in the day but used it all up, and now I can't find any more. I ain't gonna pay $6 on amazon either

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
one of my favorites that you can't always find is grace hot sauce. It's just cheap shit, but it's really good with plenty of heat but it builds nice and slow. It's not just like a blast of toxic death fire inferno that kills your taste buds. I got some down in Sint Maaaaarten back in the day but used it all up, and now I can't find any more. I ain't gonna pay $6 on amazon either
There is a large west indian population here, so pretty much every grocery store has an entire section dedicated to Grace products, it's great. Their cheap red hot hot sauce is pretty good, but the yellow scotch bonnet stuff.... :drool: :drool:

And Grace cream soda, the clear stuff...:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: