Quantcast

SRS+ basher Vs the old SRS basher

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I snapped my SRS+ Bash guard at the weekend. I was comming round a fast right hander which had been built up a bit when the back end went over the top of the corner. This ment my bash ring dug into a log and was snapped. It split right through and the plastic was pulled off two of the little gold inserts.

I'm not having a go at the bash ring at all, it took a pretty hefty sideways load when it'd normally be taking vertical bashes but I was wondering if any one else had done in these newer style bash rings as I have a feeling the old one wouldn't have snapped (It may well have bent instead and taken my chainring and crank tabs so I feel like I got off lucky actually).

I know quite a few people who bent chainrings and crank tabs while using the old SRS so has the new one been designed to snap before that happens of was my crash just a freak incident?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
At one point in time years ago, I was one of only a few people to snap one of the old guards. But nothing could survive what I did. Going over 30+ down an old logging cut, dropped off a bank into what a shallow stream and bottomed my guide out on a solid granite slab. I hit so hard on the bash, that it popped me up the opposite bank, a 2" rise, like a slingshot.

My buddy witnessed it thought I'd snapped my frame. Tobler had me send it in, which if you'll call them, they'll want that one back from you usually to examine.

http://www.e13components.com/contact.html
:thumb:

He found that I'd over torqued the chainring bolts and had left massive indentations in it creating stress risers. It split along one of those.

BUT, if you saw what I did, it would be the equivalent of going 30+ and bunny hopping your BB into 2 foot high storm drain. I was given a new bash ASAP.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I snapped my SRS+ Bash guard at the weekend. I was comming round a fast right hander which had been built up a bit when the back end went over the top of the corner. This ment my bash ring dug into a log and was snapped. It split right through and the plastic was pulled off two of the little gold inserts.

I'm not having a go at the bash ring at all, it took a pretty hefty sideways load when it'd normally be taking vertical bashes but I was wondering if any one else had done in these newer style bash rings as I have a feeling the old one wouldn't have snapped (It may well have bent instead and taken my chainring and crank tabs so I feel like I got off lucky actually).

I know quite a few people who bent chainrings and crank tabs while using the old SRS so has the new one been designed to snap before that happens of was my crash just a freak incident?
To answer your question, both our LG1+ and SRS+ are designed to take the brunt of the force of impact. The Turbocharger is intentionally made so that more often than not the bash will flex away from your chainring. It is also designed to lessen the force to your chainring tabs, although weird stuff will always happen...this is downhill after all.

Shoot me an email with pictures...and we can get you sorted out!

philipw@e13components.com

cheers,
philip :thumb:

Last edited:

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Nice one. Its actually at the bikes shop at the moment and I thought they might have thrown it out. It wasn't a warranty claim IMO but I've got them to text me a photo so I'll get my phone hooked up to my laptop and email it over when I get home in a couple of hours.