Quantcast

SRS+ or another taco

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
destroyed my drivetrain this weekend and need something new.

ive gone through 2 backplates to my MRP Mini-G and was wondering if a SRS+ would serve me any better and prevent big problems like this happening.

im thinking that the full bashring will put all that force on the cranks and break another tab or two. whereas the taco takes the force directly to the ISCG tabs on the frame...

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I don't have a picture of mine but I have the original LG1 and I have a big dent in my taco and 2 of the 3 bolts that mount to the ISCG tabs are bent but it still functions fine. I have not had any damage to my frame, cranks, chain, or chainring. I vote for LG1+.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Like I said in the Revolt thread, a friend with an SRS+ hit something at Whistler on Sunday that left his drivetrain looking a lot like yours, broken bash ring, bent chainring and mounting tab. The real shame is that he was riding chainless because of a deraileur issue but hadn't pulled off his ring or guide. I think with a hard enough hit or a sideways hit you're going to do damage with whatever system you have.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
hard enough sideways hit to break a tab of of a diabolous crank? no bashgaurd in the world would have helped with that.

suggestion: stop doing whatever it was that you were doing that caused this damage ;) (guess: casing onto a square edged rock?)

assumption: the iscg tabs help up just fine? supporting the hypothesis that they will hold up fine in a brutal crash such as above?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the ever fopular sam hill swapped from a lg1 to a srs (plusses) due to a similar issue, I thought. Not sure the full bash would have faired better, as that looks like a side load issue and not a direct contact owie.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hard enough sideways hit to break a tab of of a diabolous crank? no bashgaurd in the world would have helped with that.

suggestion: stop doing whatever it was that you were doing that caused this damage ;) (guess: casing onto a square edged rock?)

assumption: the iscg tabs help up just fine? supporting the hypothesis that they will hold up fine in a brutal crash such as above?
it wasnt a sideways hit, it was a straight on hit.
the fun thing about the line is that it jumps you onto the ski slope on one of the faster trails on the mountain...two inches left or right and i would have been fine.

the tabs are super burly....thats why im still leaning towards another Taco guide since the load is transfered directly to the frame, not the cranks

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Straitline silent guide FTW! Good strong cnc alu (7075 I think) full bash. I tend to beat the crap out of my bashring so I somehow managed to endure the horrible extra 4 grams over the srs+.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
jsut to play devil's advocate, if the crank and ring didn't absorb as much impact, and gave less, how much more significant would the crash have been? ie, the bike suddenly stops and you are launched over the bars?

sorry, bored, waiting for family to arrive for the week.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
jsut to play devil's advocate, if the crank and ring didn't absorb as much impact, and gave less, how much more significant would the crash have been? ie, the bike suddenly stops and you are launched over the bars?

sorry, bored, waiting for family to arrive for the week.
well i was hauling down the trail and landed straight on the rock. i think if nothing gave way, then it probably would have just bucked me a little bit. i didnt crash when i landed, just quickly locked my brakes up and pulled over asap since i thought it was the frame.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
well i was hauling down the trail and landed straight on the rock. i think if nothing gave way, then it probably would have just bucked me a little bit. i didnt crash when i landed, just quickly locked my brakes up and pulled over asap since i thought it was the frame.
what trail?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
hard enough sideways hit to break a tab of of a diabolous crank?
It doesn't take much with those cranks in my experience. I still have a set of Diabolous cranks chilling in my tool box with a cracked chainring tab from a standard issue wash out. Aside from the cracked tab they're perfectly fine, hence keeping them as spares. I still find it astounding how little side force it took to snap that single piece though, I've never had that happen with a crankset before/since.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what trail?
on greenhorn after the the long straight after the banana jump...the first time it goes across the ski slope. the line on the far left has a small jump with a big rock sticking straight up.
i said hello to that rock.

Last edited:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
on greenhorn after the the long straight after the banana jump...the first time it go across the ski slope. the line on the far left has a small jump with a big rock sticking straight up.
That rock is a bitch. With enough speed and aiming towards the high side you can just gap that little section.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
If you want maximum protection you could run a Turbocharger with an old style SRS backplate that you can also mount a taco on.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If you want maximum protection you could run a Turbocharger with an old style SRS backplate that you can also mount a taco on.
i think that might be a bit overkill.
i do have a original Evil turbocharger from way back from 2001ish, but i think its a 5bolt pattern.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
on greenhorn after the the long straight after the banana jump...the first time it goes across the ski slope. the line on the far left has a small jump with a big rock sticking straight up.
Kinda funny, i blew out the bottom of my 32mm boxxer stanchion on the same section of trail, thought it was a rock to the downtube, that was until rebound stopped working halfway down alpine..

That being said I had some solid impacts on my SRS+ and haven't had any issues.. I also don't have ISCG mounts(cove) and it hasn't rotated, dunno if that says anything, but it seems to be working great..

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Kinda funny, i blew out the bottom of my 32mm boxxer stanchion on the same section of trail, thought it was a rock to the downtube, that was until rebound stopped working halfway down alpine..
:picsstfu:

:D
i thought a rock had kicked up and broke the frame, but thankfully it was everything else

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
The SRS+ and Turbocharger should take a beating...the Turbocharger is designed to take the most of the hit (simply flexing on most impacts). What we found with solid polycarbonate bashguards is that the impact is mostly directed straight through the material to its mounting surface (ISCG tabs or Crank Tabs). While it is still possible to mangle them, it is greatly lessened through the Impact Flexure design and specific polycarbonate blend that we use for most of our plastics.

For the ultimate bombproof-ness with current product, I would look at the FreeChucker (double bashguards should do it).

Cheers,
philip

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The SRS+ and Turbocharger should take a beating...the Turbocharger is designed to take the most of the hit (simply flexing on most impacts). What we found with solid polycarbonate bashguards is that the impact is mostly directed straight through the material to its mounting surface (ISCG tabs or Crank Tabs). While it is still possible to mangle them, it is greatly lessened through the Impact Flexure design and specific polycarbonate blend that we use for most of our plastics.

For the ultimate bombproof-ness with current product, I would look at the FreeChucker (double bashguards should do it).

Cheers,
philip
thanks, thats what i was thinking. the supercharger looks like it wont flex at all like the old school ones ive had.

the freechucker does look burly, but id like a lower roller for the chain

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
whats suppose to be there?
Bottom of the stanchion, don't have a pic of the part that snapped off. But basically the snapring goes in the groove, and the part that snapped off retains the snapring. Without the snapring retained the seal and rebound rod come apart, all the oil in the damper side goes into the lowers.. basically need a new stanchion, rebound/bottom seal assembly and new lowers.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
IH8Rice:

I vote for the SRS+. I know you are worried about bending chainring tabs, but how many more hits to your ISCG tabs can your frame take? I use a SRS because of two BIG reasons:

1: most frame manufacturers wont warranty your frame if you use LG1 type guides (SC, Specialized, Trek, don't know about Evil)
2: cranks are cheaper than a new frame