Quantcast

SS 29 Inch Wheel - Gearing Question

Old_Dude

Monkey
Thanks everyone for the comments - I appreciate the info.

OD you got that Surly up and running yet??
YES!!!! And, I love it!!!! Really, I enjoy it more than I'd imagined. It's a whole new way of discovering the sport - I think I'm a born singlespeeder.

The steel frame & 29 inch wheels are really nice.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
im not even sure i should reply....but i will anyways.

ratios:

26"wheels:
175mm cranks
34:20

29"wheels"
180mm cranks
33:21

feels perfect to me.

I've always heard that there's a 10% difference between 26ers and 29ers, but i believe that deals with only the wheel size....so all of this is mute, due to gearing.

too much asbestos and lead today- i'll shut up now.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
The rough rule of thumb is to add two teeth in the rear for the equivalent 29er gear. But the gear inches will help you nail it exactly. For the 26" I run 34x17 (2:1) and on the 29" I use 36x20. Both work out to be 52 gear inches.

Old_Dude

Monkey
I have a 33 tooth chainring, 18 cog and 29 inch wheel - not counting the final diameter with the tire - that means my GI = ~53.2. Compared to where I've been - and my destination - I'm currently not in very good shape. Based on many of the trails I've ridden thus far, this bike seems geared "low", but the GI seems a bit higher than the "standard" 52. The bike shop sold me 180mm cranks, but I'm still unsure how the crank length would fit into the equation . . . :confused:

. . . this is too much analysis for me . . . I think I'll just go riding and enjoy what's hooked up and rollin'.

:)

Happy ridin' ya'll,

OD

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Old_Dude said:
29 inch wheel - not counting the final diameter with the tire
29 inch is the diameter counting the tire. As far as crank lenght, Sheldon Brown has a calculator that uses crank length to come up with a number he calls gain ratio. Good for comparing the numbers.