Quantcast

SS Chain Tension: how tight is too tight?

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
Finally finished my single speed winter project. Stoked on how it turned out. I ended up using a frame w/ vertical dropouts and by sheer coincidence, when I put the wheel in the dropouts last night, it fit perfect w/ totally snug chain tension--no half links, no singulator, etc. But the chain is definitely tight, very little if any play. My question is, is there any disadvantage to having this much tension on the chain? Again, the wheel fits perfectly in the drop outs and she purs like a kitten when I pedal it.

Thanks for any input...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Usually about an inch of deflection(1/2" up| 1/2" down) at the midway point between front/rear sprockets is good. If it is tighter than that, you might be able to get by with it, but I would slowly spin the cranks and see if there are any really tight spot -- chainrings/spiders aren't always perfectly round.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
I wouldn't worry about it. the chain will eventually stretch (if it's a new chain) but like AlCapone said, if you can spin the cranks backwards without them stopping before making a full spin, then you should be fine.

Nov 20, 2008
having your chain too tight can prematurely wear the chain and also the chainrings. my rule of thumb is about a 1/4inch of play when you pull up on the midpoint of the chain under the chainstay. make sure you test the chain in multiple spots to find the tightspot, like Wumpus said chainrings aren't neccesarily round. if your cranks move when you spin the rear wheel(like a fixie) that's another good indicator that your chain is too tight.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
careful with assuming chain "stretch," because chains don't actually stretch, they wear. setting it up too tight planning for stretch to proper tension, that isn't too smart.

most rear cogs and front chainwheels are not perfectly round. the chain tension will vary as the crank goes through a full 360 degrees. there's a trick to reduce the tension variation -- you make the chainring bolts slightly loose, then pedal it gently through a few revolutions of the crank, then tighten the chainring bolts again. sometimes that will even out the tension differences.

I'd say 1/2" to 1" chain movement at the midpoint between chainwheel and cog is a good baseline for chain tension.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Dangerous E-
I had the exact same situation as you. My chain was really tight but I've been riding it with no problems. I think it has even "loosened" up slightly after riding it for a while. I love the fact that I don't have to use tensioners... It makes the bike that much more simple and quiet (which is the reason I built it) Good luck man.