Quantcast

SS chain tension

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Ok, I'm trying to get good chain tension on a specialized P1. For reasons I won't go into, chain tugs are probably not going to be an option, and neither is a singleator-type tensioner. Any one have any tricks to getting good tension without using either the tugs or the tensioner?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Tugs and tensioners serve two completely different functions. The former maintains tension by keeping the axle from sliding forward while the latter provides tension by pushing up or pulling down on the chain. Which do you need? Isn't the P1 an SS specific frame with track dropouts?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Another option is filing away a small amount of material from either side of your axle. ie.. creating flat spots on the threads allowing you a small amount of adjustment within the dropout. It works unless you have a very high dollar hub. Some poeple I have known have filed away at the actual dropout a little, but this ruins a frame as opposed to just an axle.

I don't know if that explains it well, but I rode SS on a bike with this setup for about 4 years with a Surly hub before finally gettig a real SS frame this year.