Quantcast

SS cranks

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
Hello singlespeeders!!

I'd like to upgrade the stock cranks on my redline, and am looking for something with a pretty low q-factor. Any recommendations? The White Industries crank is looking pretty appealing right now, but I don't reaally know what the q-factor would be.

fubar5

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
By q-factor I am guessing you mean price. The price on the White Industries are $180. I own a set and they are awesome. Here a little picture to settle you over.

Look at them shine. And they go very well with a White Industries Freewheel.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
don't just look at "ss cranks" you can turn any cranks into single speed. If you want to get nice you just buy a none ramped chainring for it. You should be able to find nice square cranks & bb or FSA/Race face

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
rpk1988 said:
By q-factor I am guessing you mean price...
Q-factor, also known as "tread," has to do with the lateral distance between the pedals. All rise for a reading from the book of St. Sheldon:

The lateral distance between the pedal attachment points on a crankset. For most cyclists, the narrower the tread the better. When we walk, our footprints fall almost in a straight line under the center-of-gravity of our bodies. When we cycle, the "tread" forces our feet to be exerting their force farther apart than they are designed to do. Some theorists blame this for knee and hip problems experienced by some cyclists, but the jury is still out on this.

A wider "tread" also creates a greater sideways force when pedaling out of the saddle, so the rider must exert more upper-body strength when riding "en danceuse".

A wider "tread" decreases pedal-ground clearance when the bicycle is banked over into a tight turn.

Any SS-specific crank is going to have a more narrow q-factor than a crank designed for multiple rings, simply because they don't need the extra space between crank and frame for multiple rings.

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
BikeGeek said:
snip...All rise for a reading from the book of St. Sheldon:

:rofl:

I was actually reading the specs on the white industries cranks and according to them the cranks are designed with minimum q-factor in mind, so those may be just the ticket. I'll go to the shop on Monday and see if the guru there can get them in.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Most shops can get White Indo. When you mentioned low q-factor I thought you meant you were keeping the new outboard bearing cranks out of mind.

I love the white industry cranks, especially with the double chainring.. just aww in delete.