Quantcast

SS CX in racing???

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
Im planning on raceing a bit of CX this year and my rig is a lemond poprad and is single speeded with a 50 up front and the white industries double back cog in 17/19... what are CX courses usually like? im pedaling the 50/17 right now averaging about 19 mph on a rolling hills 30 miles...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Good article about SS cross.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlecross.html

You might want to have a higher gearing to race cross as you probably won't be riding up the hills but running (unless you are some sort of machine!)
I think the article suggests that he might want to have a lower gear (the writer recommends 2:1 for mere mortals). Not all courses have run up climbs. I haven't raced CX, but I do ride roads, trails and everything in between on my CX bike. I'd die in a 50x17. You might be able to get by with the 50x19, but if it's, say, a hilly and muddy course, you're probably going to suffer. I'd go for a smaller front ring, personally.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I think the article suggests that he might want to have a lower gear (the writer recommends 2:1 for mere mortals). Not all courses have run up climbs. I haven't raced CX, but I do ride roads, trails and everything in between on my CX bike. I'd die in a 50x17. You might be able to get by with the 50x19, but if it's, say, a hilly and muddy course, you're probably going to suffer. I'd go for a smaller front ring, personally.
You're absolutely right, I meant LOWER gearing, not higher! I'd die too in a 50/17!!

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
yeah i figured it would be a bit much... looking into a smaller front ring to go with the 19 tooth and will preview a cx course or two to see how i feel just riding along... Thanks for the article...