Quantcast

SS el cheapo

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hey,

Awhile ago I converted an old Marin into a SS out of spare parts for a general commuter. And, well I love it. I've actually started trail riding this bike again after a decade or so of disuse. What great feeling! I love the rigid ride on smooth single track, so nice and efficient. But I digress...

I need a source for some cheap parts. The bottom bracket is dissolving. I believe that the drive side bearings are either gone or mostly missing. Its started making horrible noises. Years and years ago I stripped the crank extractor threads on the drive side so I'm going to need new cranks as well. I've been looking for used 175 or 180 mm 5x110 bolt pattern cranks on ebay with out much luck. I don't even know where to start for the BB. I need to get the cranks off first and take it to the shop and have them remove it. Hopefully they will be able to do so. Its one of the really old ones with the little notches cut in the side for tightening/untightening. I have no idea what size it is.

Anyway, somebody somewhere must have box full of old parts just laying around waiting to be reclaimed. Any of you resourcefull ss'ers know any of these hordeing types?

Thanks.

Dave

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I am one of these 'hording' types. Stay out of my box!

Took a while to find a set of 180s for my SS online a few years ago and finally came across some guy selling some '93 XTRs. They've been on my SS ever since. Keep searching and asking. Someone's got some. My boxes will be rumaged through by a bud of mine this weekend. If I see anything as he's searching, I'll let you know. I might have some 175s...

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
just get some shimano LX's, and a Shimano squaretaper lx bottom bracket. Buy it at Cambria for less then $100 and you'll be good to go! Thats what I did

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
peter6061 said:
I am one of these 'hording' types. Stay out of my box!

Took a while to find a set of 180s for my SS online a few years ago and finally came across some guy selling some '93 XTRs. They've been on my SS ever since. Keep searching and asking. Someone's got some. My boxes will be rumaged through by a bud of mine this weekend. If I see anything as he's searching, I'll let you know. I might have some 175s...

Did you find anything? I'm over in Naptown by the way, not too far from DC. I was up picking up garbage with the frednecks this weekend.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
jdschall said:
Did you find anything? I'm over in Naptown by the way, not too far from DC. I was up picking up garbage with the frednecks this weekend.
I've got some Truvativ SS cranks that came on my SS bike. I swapped them out right away to those XTRs, so they are basically new. I probably have the BB as well, but more drinking was done this weekend than rummaging. They've got a CR on them and a 'non-bash' ring <-- decorative.