Quantcast

SS for the unfit

Quamen

Chimp
May 18, 2006
England
I plan to start riding again to shed a few pounds and I have always wanted a SS but I'm a bit unsure if a SS would be suitable I will be Riding 60% Chanals 30% off road with moderate hills and 10% Roads, I'm not totaly unfit I can happily do a 20 mile ride on my ancient XC bike. Would a SS bike be suitable for me if It help I'm looking a Rigid bikes like the Kona Unit etc.

Thanks

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I dont see why not, just change the gearing to suit your fitness level and what terrain you ride.

I run 32x20, 32x19 or 32x18 (on my 29er) depending on how hilly of a place I'll be riding at.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I think SS is suitable for anyone (unless you have bad knees). There's this persistent myth that SS is hardcore. I may be breaking some secret SS law in letting you in on this, but it's not as difficult as many believe it to be. I, and many people I ride with, have been repeatedly surprised by what we're able to ride with only one gear. Riding shifty bikes for so long puts you in the mindset of having to downshift for hills, when in fact you really just need to get out of the saddle and keep your legs spinning for most.

The challenging part for you will be finding the right gear for the different riding you want to do. A good XC gear is typically too light for road riding. You might consider the "Double/Double" from White Industries. It allows you to run two different gearing combos that use the same chain length: 38/16 and 35/19.

Best way to tell if SS is for you? Put your bike in your middle chainring and somewhere around your 16t or 17t cog on the cassette and don't let yourself shift for an entire ride.

:)