Quantcast

SS gearing for girls

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Hi,

I have a singlespeed SC Chameleon that I want my girlfriend Isa to start using.

She wants to ride SS for fun and to gain some strength/experience because she is mostly a high rpm spinner now. She want her ss experience to help her use bigger gears on her regular bike.

I currently run 34/18 which is fine for me. What is a typical gearing for girls if I can ask such a thing?

Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What kind of terrain will she be riding? Road, off-road? Lots of big climbs? Short steep ones?

BTW, one workout which I use which would help your g/f which you can do with a geared bike, although a road bike is better, is this do this in order

5th hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off
4th hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off
3rd hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off
2nd hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off
1st hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off

Do this on a easy 5% incline and pedal about 40-75rpm, but you should not feel out of breath or your heart racing (the proper way to do this is with a HR monitor).

This workout forces you to use harder gears and develop leg strength.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
What kind of terrain will she be riding? Road, off-road? Lots of big climbs? Short steep ones?

BTW, one workout which I use which would help your g/f which you can do with a geared bike, although a road bike is better, is this do this in order

5th hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off
4th hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off
3rd hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off
2nd hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off
1st hardest gear: 3 minutes
1 minute off

Do this on a easy 5% incline and pedal about 40-75rpm, but you should not feel out of breath or your heart racing (the proper way to do this is with a HR monitor).

This workout forces you to use harder gears and develop leg strength.
Sorry, terrain is typical east coast, slow and technical, short steep climbs.

She is not into training or races, she just wants to build some leg strenght while having fun riding.

Thanks for the tips.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would advise "strength rides" be done somewhere very easy, like a paved bike path or a fire road.

I would try a 22/20, btw.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hope you mean a 34/22 or a 34/20?
I got my numbers right. If she is a granny gear, 22/34 type rider, moving a 22/20 will allow her to make the short, steep climbs around the East Coast. Obviously she will spin it out on anything flat, but it sounds like she does not use the middle ring at all, so moving to a 34 chainring will be overwhelming.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't think Isa is any slouch on a bike and a near 1:1 ratio certainly will not get her used to using bigger gears.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I am going to agree with Westy here on not going that close to 1:1. Isa's got strength, she's just looking to get even stronger (no I am scared for sure). I am running a 33:17 now but I also have 34:20 option in my fleet. I don't think it's awful (most days) so I am sure Isa will be able to do it as well.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I'd just let her ride it as is and I bet she'll do just fine. Sure she'll be walking some things at first as she gets used to the stand and hammer aspect of running a taller gear but she'll get the hang of it soon enough. When Mohshee takes out my Unit 29er she doesn't seem to have any problems running the same gearing I do.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Thanks for the tips,

I will try like TBFKAHG suggested, let her ride the current setup and work from there. She might hate me thought, If you see me looking for a new girlfriend in the buy&sell forum you will know the 34/18 did not work out :poster_oops:

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I just got my first SS. It's currently a 34-16, which I think is going at least to a 32-16, but it was still really fun to ride this weekend. I wouldn't worry about it to start with - just go test it out and have fun!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Just thought I'd post an update -

After two rides, I did change my gearing to 32-16, and I LOVE it. There are a few spots here and there that I have issues with and have to walk on our local trails, but for the most part - I am having more fun climbing than I ever thought possible.

Last night I went out on a ride with a friend who I race DH with, and another guy who was also on a rigid SS. The two of us were having a blast, and he said "you know - sometimes I wish I could just keep climbing and have a shuttle pick me up at the top when I'm done". AND I AGREED WITH HIM. (heh - talk about getting incredulous looks from people you DH with.) I'm the one who used to bitch and whine on climbs. Swore I was quitting anything involving going uphill ever again on every ride. Walked up more hills than you can possibly imagine. And suddenly I'm having so much fun on the climbs that I'm bummed when they're over. But I've also never gone so fast uphill - it's just so much more fun when you're accellerating uphill rather than spinning at a walking pace.

But don't be afraid of a gear close to a 2:1 ratio.