Quantcast

SS hub on a Corsair Maelstrom, will it work?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am looking at ordering 10mm dropouts for my Maelstrom frame and was wondering if a bolt up 10mm rear end will flex much more than a bolt up 12mm rear.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Are you going to be running the Maelstrom as a single speed or are you planning on doing something like a hammerschmidt for a 2 speed setup?

Running this awesome freeride rig singlespeed would be like running a road bike with trials gearing IMO.

Anyhow, I don't think a bolt on 10mm would turn the back end into a noodle or anything since the rear triangle/swing arm a such a solid and stiff fabrication. Is there even a singlespeed specific 150mm hub readily available?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
OOps, sorry, I forgot to mention I am going to run 5 or 6 speed on an SS hub. I am a pretty heavy guy and have no need for 8 or 9 gears for DH.

Edit- No it won't be a 150mm rear end you can get 135x10mm dropouts as an extra.

Last edited:

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Are you sure that they offer a 135mm rear end? It seems that it would really mess up the chainline to me. I know they are offering different dropouts that will allow the use if a QR/10mm axle but I'm not too sure they will be 135mm spacing.

Why not run 5-6 gears on a regular 150mm hub and retain the Maxle and the added stiffness?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just assumed it would be 135x10mm spacing, I did read all dropouts are interchangeable(sp?) on all frames excluding the Crown. Might have to send them an email to find out.
I want 135mm spacing so I can build a wheelset for my DH hardtail and swap them straight over when I build the Corsair up.

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
how do you think it'd stand up to a little uphill? i may have to take it on some AM trails to get to the good stuff. also, what build did you ride? if i can swing it i'm going for the saint build with a few extra goodies doug agreed to throw on for me.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
how do you think it'd stand up to a little uphill? i may have to take it on some AM trails to get to the good stuff. also, what build did you ride? if i can swing it i'm going for the saint build with a few extra goodies doug agreed to throw on for me.
Check out my site mtbgeartech.com for info on the build that I am riding. I should have an Elka in next week for comparison as well. Build it up with light wheels, light tires, a light-ish travel adjust fork (66 ATA), and a dual front ring drivetrain and it will climb extremely well. My heavy build with a single 34t front ring and a 11-32t cassette even climbs surprisingly well.

Not a good idea. It has an 83mm BB shell. That combined with a 135mm rear wheel = really bad chainline.
I totally agree and this is why I don't think Corsair offers a 135mm option.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Well my frame turned up today and it looks horrid, grey with a bit of spearmint thrown in, it was the only color in stock, however it does mean I won't care if I scratch it.

With the chainline why will it make the chainline so bad, wouldn't it only move the cassette over by around 1/4"? If i don't have the two low ratio gears the chain should be as well aligned as an 8 or 9sp bike with a 150mm hub.

Forgive me for being special, this is my first dually(except for a BB7 which I owned for a month).

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I like the color actually

The chainline might not be that bad if your running SS with 135mm spacing but again, I don't think Corsair offers 135mm dropouts.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
And what about using standard 135/10mm or 150/12mm hub with your 6-speed cassette and some spacer from SS conversion kit? You'd retain superior stiffness which I doubt can be achieved by bolt-on axle.
Or are there any 135/10 (150/12) thru-axle SS hubs available ? I was looking for them at crc.com but didn't find any.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think Woodman do a 150x12 convertible to a 135x10mmQR hub but it is 8/9 speed. I'd love run a Tune SS hub but they are QR only, so I might have to get a Hope.

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
Check out my site mtbgeartech.com for info on the build that I am riding. I should have an Elka in next week for comparison as well. Build it up with light wheels, light tires, a light-ish travel adjust fork (66 ATA), and a dual front ring drivetrain and it will climb extremely well. My heavy build with a single 34t front ring and a 11-32t cassette even climbs surprisingly well.
yeah, i think i'm gonna buy it, all i've heard are good things about it. the only thing is it's around 38/9 pounds, but if it pedals as well as you say, then i'm sure that won't be a problem.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I gave in and bought a Hope 150mm hub, now I have to work on how to make it a little more quiet.