Quantcast

SS kit

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I have a Spot Brand spacer kit that's been working for me, but I wish I had a bit more adjustability. I like the sounds of the Endless Fibonacci spacers.

Not sure of your definition of "expensive" but if you're thinking of using a cassette cog I say don't do it. At least not for too long. Cassette cogs tend to bite in to your freehub body after a while. Go with a fatter cog like those from Surly, Endless, On-One, etc.

Jun 20, 2007
I replaced my cassette with a kick-ass-cog and fibonacci spacer kit from Endless Bikes, and I replaced my rear deraileur with a Surly Singulator. It works really well. I don't have personal experience with any other kits out there.

GuettoBlaster

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Ghetto...of course
If you have an expensive hub like a Chris King, get a CK cog. I have that setup and the cog fits like a glove. Narrow cogs will bite into the spline. If you have a cheap hub, this will do you fine: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13456-220_GUS1C4-0-Search--/Gusset-1-ER-Single-Speed-Conversion-Kit.htm
I've been using the same kit from Gusset for about 3 years...they have a new heavy duty one out,wich the spacers are cutted on a diferent way...i use to have a shimano xt hub,but now i have a atomlab cassete...it works fine...but i'm going for a full on single speed hub next time...clicks better,sounds better and won't give no problems...also to fit a fat chain like a shadow of conspiracy (half link type) you gotta take your spacers to a machine shop and lower them thing down a little...its worthed!!!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm cheap and my SS is also my first.

Rather than purchase a single cog, a complete cassette is mounted on the freehub body. An old cable is routed through an old der., and the der. is aligned to a cog by adjusting the tension on the cable.

Functionality = 1. Cost = 0.

Jun 20, 2007
I'm cheap and my SS is also my first.

Rather than purchase a single cog, a complete cassette is mounted on the freehub body. An old cable is routed through an old der., and the der. is aligned to a cog by adjusting the tension on the cable.

Functionality = 1. Cost = 0.
I have the same cheap bastard setup on my ss hardtail. It works well. Not as light as a full set up, but cheap and easy.