Quantcast

SS on a budget (x-post MTBR)

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Hi All-

I have been thinking of dabbling in the world single speeds. Since I don’t currently have XC bike to convert I have made a shopping list what I think I will need. I would like the frame to have a derailleur hanger just in case I decide to put gears on it (god forbid). My riding style will be mainly climbing hills and flat fire roads. I’m 6’5” and weigh 215 lbs.

I would love to hear what you guys have to say.

Frame: Access XCL size 22” $159.99
Cranks: Used XTR or XT
Chainring: ??
Rear cog: ??
Wheels: Deore/Rhynolight discs $89.99
Fork: OE Judy XC I got for $40.00
Tensioner: Rennen Rollenlager $50.00
Spacer kit: Spot One Spacer $35.00
Brakes: Avid mechanical on Sale $79.99 (I have levers from an old bike)
Chain: I need suggestions. I will be doing tons of hard climbing and don’t want it to break.

Or do I just buy a KHS Solo-One for $550.00 and forget being able to ad gears if I change my mind?

What do you guys think?

Scott

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
i'd go with a horizontal dropout frame. Saves you $50, looks cleaner, and (depending on frame choice) could possibly be lighter as well. Singlespeed chain for sure. Look into the singlespeed cog kit, I think it's available at jensonusa. I'm running a 32-18 setup and it works okay for getting around the city and urban riding.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
crono35 said:
i'd go with a horizontal dropout frame. Saves you $50, looks cleaner, and (depending on frame choice) could possibly be lighter as well. Singlespeed chain for sure.
Only saves $50 if he can get the horiz drop frame for the same price as the Access. Do SS frames exist at that price?
edit: I guess they do. IRO Cycle Inc.

SRAM PC-1 is a decent chain at a decent price. Salsa has some nice non-ramped chain rings. Look to Endless cycles for your cog needs. (search this forum, there is a post in here somewhere about them). A cassette cog will work in a pinch but may give you trouble if your chainline isn't close to perfect.

alienspudboy

Chimp
Jun 9, 2005
I just checked out the link to the IRO website as I was thinking of getting the new Supercross, but heck for $100 for a frame it might be worth a try, but I saw the frames were $179 is there a page I am missing? I mean heck even at $179, but I am nervous it is 7005 aluminum I would rather a cro-mo

Spud