Quantcast

SS or geared cross bike?

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I've got a cross bike that I love, it makes a great commuter. I could ride home on the roads, and then cut through some trails, as well.

I'm thinking the SS is way sexier, though. Plus, you can get a very nice, used HT (think Schwinn Homegrown Pro) for super cheap, and then convert it.

I'm just flapping my lips, though. There are SS'ers out there that are way more rabid than me who will offer their worthy opinions.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by eastcoastzigzag
not gonna race. only ride. what do u think?

are you starting this bike from stratch or what? if that's the case if you are just going to be riding it, SS would totally be fun. would help drop some serious weight and keep the bike's maintance down......

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by indieboy
are you starting this bike from stratch or what? if that's the case if you are just going to be riding it, SS would totally be fun. would help drop some serious weight and keep the bike's maintance down......
You'll also end up with super-strong legs and the ability to drop your buddies on every climb. Of course, you'll lose all that leg strength while recovering from you knee surgery.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
But I live in North Vancouver and regularly ride hills that take an hour to climb. Some steeps with a ss around here would require walking. A lot of the technical climbing I do also requires shifting or different gearing to suit conditions.

But ss are not about efficient riding. Its about simplicity or just something different. A lot of the ss crowd, at least the ones you read about in Dirt Rag seem to be a little, shall we say colourful? people. There aslo seems at times to be an undercurrent of, "ss is more pure and simple so we are better humans for riding one" which really turns me off. But so does any clicky self important person or group.

Every now and then I leave my bike in a ss gear ratio, like a 32 X 16 and see what its like. I hate it.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
What's your price range?
if you want to go on the cheap get something like a Surly with horizontals so you have the option of either. If you want a nice bike get a IF Planet X with an EBB.

I love ss and I love Cross bikes, I even have a Bontrager that i could set up SS. Yet I still haven't done it... Beiing a hardcore racerboy it's hard for me to find the motivation to set up a bike that I will only ride in really specific conditions (lots of mud on a flattish course). If you get a bike with horizontal droputs you get the option of going fixed, wich ****ing rules.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by Sideways
General rule of bikes:
If you aren't going to race it, go SS and rigid.
Did that about a month ago and have only been on one ride on a geared bike since then. Best decision I made regarding bikes.

It's a great workout, very little maintenance and as the song says "Hurts so good".

Apr 1, 2002
NY
thanks for the info guys! im leaning twords the surly cross bike. cheep and it works. if i go SS then i may go w/ a kelly frame. def gonna b true cross and def rigid. plus i work at a shop that sells iron horse, so im gonna give their frame a look too. thanks again guys. keep the info comin, im all ears. i want to c this from all angles.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Thylacine
Lets see if this makes sense.....

SINGLE SPEED

Did that register? Okay, good. Cross is gay, maybe even gayer than Indy. Hard to believe, I know!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: