Quantcast

SS = Quiet & Awesome

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
They're full of ****. 22/12 is actually a little higher than 32/18, it's actually equivalent to a 32/17.45 (which is obviously impossible to actually achieve). A gear ratio is what it is, no matter how you get to it. Their micro drive is probably a tiny bit lighter, and will wear out faster, and that's about it.
Dude I have a 17.45 cog in my toolbox! It's an 18 with most of a tooth broken off :p I figured it was BS, but the guys that run those setups are totally convinced.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
It bothers me that people talk in gear teeth when comparing ratios. This is all relative, people. For my sanity, please use gear inches. It's comparable to any wheel size.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_g.html#gearinch

Just so I'm contributing, instead of whining alone.
-BMX bikes typically come in at 55 gear inches.
-My SSDH is set up for 57 (since I don't need to climb).
-Typical SS XC bikes are set up with 52 (26" with a 2:1 ratio).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It bothers me that people talk in gear teeth when comparing ratios. This is all relative, people. For my sanity, please use gear inches. It's comparable to any wheel size.

You want me to do math just for your convenience? :panic:

I'm of two minds on this one. On one hand, you're absolutely right that gear inches is a better way of comparing how two bikes are geared relative to each other. On the other, specifying teeth sort of does make sense because that's how you arrive at a gear inch number, in addition to wheel size. So for that reason, giving a gearing paired with a wheel size is more useful because it lets someone figure out how to accomplish what you have without having to back calculate out of gear inches.

The interwebs are serious business.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You want me to do math just for your convenience? :panic:

I'm of two minds on this one. On one hand, you're absolutely right that gear inches is a better way of comparing how two bikes are geared relative to each other. On the other, specifying teeth sort of does make sense because that's how you arrive at a gear inch number, in addition to wheel size. So for that reason, giving a gearing paired with a wheel size is more useful because it lets someone figure out how to accomplish what you have without having to back calculate out of gear inches.

The interwebs are serious business.
Just using teeth leaves out all the variables like crank length, tire size and dia.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just using teeth leaves out all the variables like crank length, tire size and dia.
I understand that. My (not terribly well articulated) point was that the advantage teeth offers is some information on specific bike setup that gear inches doesn't. Neither is perfect as a descriptor of how a bike is geared.

Also, crank length doesn't factor into gear inches. There is Sheldon Brown's gain ratio or whatever he calls it that does include it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

metrics please....the rest of the world has changed...think of them.