Quantcast

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
The talk on the Mtn is that the next race is going to be 1/4 to 1/2 mile longer then the last one and running through the birdland area.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
oh god, I got lost in the birdland area for a long time with some friends and it took forever to get out. we eventually bushwhacked out to the golf course and around. confusing as hell. GOOD terrain in there though

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
oh god, I got lost in the birdland area for a long time with some friends and it took forever to get out. we eventually bushwhacked out to the golf course and around. confusing as hell. GOOD terrain in there though
haha yes! i did the exact same thing a few years ago with a buddy and it was a good 90 minutes or so until we finally ended up on route 66. it was by far the most fun i've ever had while being lost. tons of potential with that area.

might need to start working on some intervals for this one...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah, the last one was no where near long enough!
Haha-no prob. with long courses as long as you don't have to use alot of flat sections just for the purpose of making it long.

I have liked all the courses there, so I am sure it will be good, just doesn't have to be 7 min. courses to be good, IMO...
A 4.30-5.00 min. Pro Time is PLENTY long enough utilizing good terrrain - Not hating on the pedalling courses.-If the pedalling is gravity assisted. BUT-
Pedalling a bunch of flat areas - NOT FUN! - NOT Just my opinion but, a repeated opinion at the last event I heard from alot of the competitors.

Not complaining! The courses at snowshoe have been great, just lettin' you guys know we don't feel like we're getting ripped off racing 5 min. courses....

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
At some point in time a course as long as the last one will start to cater to the super fit and not the super tech rider. I think the last race course was real close to the perfect mix. It must be hard to get a course to balance both and not give too much of an advantage to either. My only complaints with the last course was the paver section at the top and there wasn't enough tech sections to really worry about getting your lines dialed. The course was pretty much wide open top to bottom. Race number 3 last year and the race down the sport course in 2006 have been the best race courses I have ever done with maybe the exception of Telluride MSC in 2005.

Edit: I say there weren't enough tech lines, but now that I think back there were tons of tech lines i.e. the exit of the wood section just after the first road gap was pretty tough to hit committed. Actually Stoney, carry on.

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I agree Doug, this last course was really good minus the paver trail section, -I know it served purpose to connect the start to the road gap.
Also agree #3 race last season was one of the best courses ever!
Just thought when I heard the next course will be even longer. "Hope they don't put in Even More flat to make the course longer".
Rumor I heard is it "may" go through the village? I have no clue where it would start etc. but, seems like there would be an awful lot of pedalling at the beginning of a race to have this happen?

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
^^agreed, #3 race last season was my favorite course of all time. The only section that bothered me was the uphill section before the hip jump. and Right before you get onto where the hip is. There was this stupid jump that ate my speed for breakfest when I went through it. But, all in all, a fun Course. I just wold like to see some more techy sections and staying in the woods a little longer. More trail like race courses with some root sections and rock gardens. But hey, I had a blast!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
yeah, the last course for race 3 last year was the tits. Funny though, as long as the last course was, it didn't wipe me out as bad as Ball & Jack did (Sport course)....

I did here a rumor of a LONGER course for the next race.......maybe if I went to the Y everyday till the race I may not collapse a lung....:dead:

:rimshot:

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
What's the latest?

Word on the street, as always has us scratching our heads.....wondering how are are they going to do that?

J

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Talked to Brad the other day about dirt bikes and he mentioned that he was watching and listening to the feedback on here as he had time. I don't have particulars but he said it was going to be better. Sounds good to me!

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Talked to Brad the other day about dirt bikes and he mentioned that he was watching and listening to the feedback on here as he had time. I don't have particulars but he said it was going to be better. Sounds good to me!
Me too...just gearing myself up for another great race and just wondering how the course was going to shake out.

The Shoe is always a good time!!

J

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I heard a rumor that there was going to be a hamster wheel, flaming loop and a gap over a punji pit. There will also be ninjas in the woods shooting ice blow darts into tires.

stoneysnake

Monkey
May 24, 2002
easy living, wv
hope you guys still want some technical. finalizing plans right now but, looks like we're going to have a pro/am - weekend warrior/intro split half way down. going to be different and fun either way.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
hope you guys still want some technical. finalizing plans right now but, looks like we're going to have a pro/am - weekend warrior/intro split half way down. going to be different and fun either way.
Just wanted to mention that I prefer sport courses that have the option to hit the bigger expert features if you want to or not. Sport/WW is usually a very competitive class with lots of good riders who could handle most features. e.g., would've been nice if we'd had the option to try the road gap last time. But I understand the liability and why it was closed. (not that I would've hit it in the wet. if the race had been dry like Sat., I might've done it)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Thats the difference between sport and am and pro. Pros didn't try to hit the road gap.

What we don't need during practice is a bunch of lesser skilled riders trying to hit lines when faster guys are fully committed. Bad mixture.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Thats the difference between sport and am and pro. Pros didn't try to hit the road gap.

What we don't need during practice is a bunch of lesser skilled riders trying to hit lines when faster guys are fully committed. Bad mixture.
Yes, I understand that, which is why I said "I understand...why it was closed." Guess I am a strange mix of riding skill - haven't raced in 6 years but have been chucking myself off big stuff for a long time, so I'm comfortable with bigger gaps/drops/etc...but still working up to race pace.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Looks like a post got deleted. Anyway, I think what Doug was trying to say is that it is dangerous to have big skill level differences practicing at the same time on a technically difficult section that requires speed and commitment.

Anyway, if the course goes down lower hairball, it would be best if the course was split. Most racers that are true Intro riders wouldn't feel comfortable on it. Weekend warrior is a bit of a toss up. I am sure some could make it down it. However, a trail like that requires a minimum speed just to get through it. It also doesn't have much room to pass. The worst case would be people stopped in the middle of the line in some of the blind corners. So I understand why they would split it in a case like that. So if you are in weekend warrior and want to ride the more difficult line, move up to Am. I don't think anyone is going to yell at someone for being slow. I personally only have a problem with when people stop in the middle of the trail.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You got it Chris, however I was more specifically referring to gaps and jumps. The scariest thing ever is to come into a blind landing road gap and look down on another rider walking or hung up in the lander.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I understand the point. I just felt it came across a little different. I deleted the post because I didn't want to come off adversarial.

They do close the Western side down early on Sat. and Sun for pro practices. But there are a lot of people on those trails.

I think it's REAL important people understand, or be taught trail etiquette. I have run into the same problem as well. I'll come up on people, especially beginners, and they're right smack dab in the middle of the trail, or worse yet, middle of the trail in a blind corner.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Yeah the practice thing can be sketchy for sure. Not sure how that differs though from how it is now, since Am/WW riders practice at the same time? Road gap was open for Ams and WW and Intro practice alike (all at same time). Anyway, it's a moot point. No reason to argue something like this, and I didn't mean to start a pissing match. I'll probably move up to Am next season, but gonna finish out this year in WW. Classes shake out differently in different race series around the country.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
any course or condition updates?

My bike is ready minus putting tires on. Is it hardpack or loam now? Just want the bike ready to go when I get there on Friday morning.

Jul 14, 2008
Fairmont, West Virginia
Just wanted to mention that I prefer sport courses that have the option to hit the bigger expert features if you want to or not. Sport/WW is usually a very competitive class with lots of good riders who could handle most features. e.g., would've been nice if we'd had the option to try the road gap last time. But I understand the liability and why it was closed. (not that I would've hit it in the wet. if the race had been dry like Sat., I might've done it)
how can it be a liability... when u go down to just ride, that road gap is open to everyone... i dont get it... i hit that gap in the mud for about 10 riders on the sunday mornings practice... and i wasnt allowed to in my race run.. its bs