Quantcast

SS riding has saved my Life

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
at least my ass that is when i go for a drop. my multi speed bikes always skiped the gears at the least convenent times!

why do you ride SS?

your answer CANNOT be because its cool!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It's quiet, it's simple, and it makes trails that you've been riding over and over for 10 years interesting again. I keep hearing that it will make me faster on my geared bike, but I don't care about that... singlespeeding is fun.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
broke way too many derailleurs. Plus, SS riding lets you focus on the trail instead of shifting. I've cleared stuff on a SS that I never could clear with gears cause I was too caught up in trying to find the right gear combo instead of focusing on technique. I spend more time riding and less time wrenching on a SS.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I love riding s/s. I broke 3 derailers in a month, and I decided to go s/s. At first I was really nervous, I didn't know if I could handle not having gears. After I set it up, I never went back! I love riding without gears, its simple, and suprisingly, I don't feel like I am at a disadvantage at all. I think I am faster without gears! The only thing that bothers me is NORBA rules! I race a few Duel Slaloms, and MTNX events each year, and they don't allow people to race S/S! WTF? I'm actually considering not even racing the sea otter classic this year, because of the S/S rule!
its really too bad

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I always used to enjoy passing the XC guys on the climbs while they were training for their races. (wish I was still in that kind of shape)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
When my XC hardtail went in the shop indefinitely (ovalized headtube) I swapped the 42-tooth ring for a 32-tooth ring and put knobbies on my 1x7 commuter so I could ride off-road. I found that I was only using 2 gears at most, so I made it an SS. :)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
why do i ride an SS?

Cause its the only bike I have right now, I guess. I bought it for commuting, but then I got to riding it on the trail and that's pretty fun.

B

bigkonarider

SS rules.
Bike shops don't like it because they lose $$..Parts constantly being replaced & upgraded w/ the newest lightest thing,etc. I guess ?
Mostly it makes you Work more on the bike pysically but LESS mentally & with less worry bout mechanicals.
It's a lighter simpler bike.
awesome stuff !

B

bigkonarider

scurban said:
I love riding s/s. I broke 3 derailers in a month, and I decided to go s/s. At first I was really nervous, I didn't know if I could handle not having gears. After I set it up, I never went back! I love riding without gears, its simple, and suprisingly, I don't feel like I am at a disadvantage at all. I think I am faster without gears! The only thing that bothers me is NORBA rules! I race a few Duel Slaloms, and MTNX events each year, and they don't allow people to race S/S! WTF? I'm actually considering not even racing the sea otter classic this year, because of the S/S rule!
its really too bad
---
no kidding that rule is dorky.
Was it to try & keep BMX bikes out??..But if you have 26" wheels i think SS is not an Advantage to win-but an Advantage to NORBA cause MORE people may enter.More dirtjumpers are SS bikes !
In effect NORBA will make MORE $$ if they tweak that dorky rule.So what no derailers-it'll be less mechanicals & i guess more even racing ?
Ya know DOWNHILL does NOT have that rule !! :thumb: