Quantcast

SS road bikes?????

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I've never had a SS before but what do you guys think of SS road bikes. From what I've seen they look like they could be good. Just looking for some opinions on them.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Nate at RIT said:
Done it, actually went out yesterday. It's not bad, not quite as good as SS mtn bikes. On the road, I prefer fixed to SS. Keeps things interesting.
Well I know nothing about single speeds what do you mean by fixed? wouldn;t that be the same as a single speed???

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Fixed gear: no coasting. Like on a track bike. A regular single speed has a freewheel or some other type of coastable arrangement.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
OH ok thanks for clearing that up for me, that would be crazy though a fixed gear on the road. What about really steep decents?

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
JMAC said:
OH ok thanks for clearing that up for me, that would be crazy though a fixed gear on the road. What about really steep decents?
That's where it's the easiest. I've tried riding road fixed, racing cyclocross fixed gear, and riding trails with it. The muddy trails were a blast. Racing cyclocross on it was interesting. Dismounting was quite challenging to say the least. But yeah, nothing like having to spin 180+ RPMs to smooth out that pedal stroke. :evil:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I'm thinking the ideal would be fixed/free. Run fixed until you get tired and start pedaling squares and bouncing all over the place, and then have the option of coasting from there on out. Course, that'd be cheating.

OTOH, I've been commuting on my fix and am not at all happy. It'll take a long time to develop the instinctive reactions needed to deal with unpredictable situations (which currently include leveling the pedals and then remembering I can't coast :)). I'd probably run the free side then, too. If I had a free side.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Just wait til you've ridden fixed exclusively for a month or so, then hop on a coasting bike. Talk about a screwy feeling, I totally thought something was broken. I find that I have much better awareness on the fixed gear because I'm looking around and ahead much more often.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've been meaning to turn my roadie into a SS, but have yet to do it. i'd just hate to waste my Dura Ace (hub)/ DT (rims) wheels on a SS bike, though.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Nate at RIT said:
Just wait til you've ridden fixed exclusively for a month or so, then hop on a coasting bike. Talk about a screwy feeling, I totally thought something was broken.
All of my bikes are single and/or fixed. I switch back and forth all of the time and don't even think about it, it's like it's wired in my brain.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
riderx said:
All of my bikes are single and/or fixed. I switch back and forth all of the time and don't even think about it, it's like it's wired in my brain.

Maybe it's because you switch back and forth, that you don't notice it. After 10 minutes or so on a SS, it doesn't feel weird, it' just that first 10 minutes or so.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Just built this puppy up. I've ridden it two days now and I don't think I'll go back to a freewheel road bike again. Hell, I'm already itching to take the brakes off.

I can't believe how much fun this thing is..except for the crappy Selle saddle I got, which is hell on me privates.

lux

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Lux, you might want to raise your bars, and flatten out your seat. Right now you are going to be sliding off the nose and holding yourself up with your arms, which has to hurt. From the looks of it the excessive drop is likely a big componet of your crotch pain...

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
SuspectDevice said:
Lux, you might want to raise your bars, and flatten out your seat. Right now you are going to be sliding off the nose and holding yourself up with your arms, which has to hurt. From the looks of it the excessive drop is likely a big componet of your crotch pain...
Yeah, with the bars that low, I had to tilt the seat forward to make it bearable. I know I gotta raise the bars...but it just doesn't look as cool. :p

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I dunno. I think a flat seat looks alot cooler... You probally want to throw on about a 10deg rise stem of that same length to get a good fit. While you are at re-wrap your bars and raise your hoods. You'll like it, I promise!

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I started riding a singlespeed on the road this past year(never ridden road before though) and loved it. Hardest part is dealing with rolling hills, you'll get tossed off the back by someone on a real road bike and it sucks. Otherwise it's an awesome feeling and it's so simple.

The Ito

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
ito,

You need gears to go up the "hills" in SB. I have done lots of road riding down there and Old San Marcos is a bitch even with gears! I remember the first day I got my road bike, I rode from my house on Mission out to Goleta up old San Marcos to Painted Cave up to E. Camino Cielo all the way over to Gibralter and then bombed the 12mile descent back into town. I think that is about a 40-45 mile loop with somewhere around 4000' of climbing. Unless you are talking about just cruising down through Hope Ranch or out Foothill or whatever you gots to have gears yo...

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
lux said:
Just built this puppy up. I've ridden it two days now and I don't think I'll go back to a freewheel road bike again. Hell, I'm already itching to take the brakes off.

I can't believe how much fun this thing is..except for the crappy Selle saddle I got, which is hell on me privates.

lux

Raise the bar, level the seat, and leave at least the front on. The bar + seat recommendations are common sense (what good is it to look cool if your crotch hurts you?), the front brake can/will be a lifesaver. Trust me, you want to have a backup in case your chain breaks/throws itself (which will happen at THE worst time.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
SuspectDevice said:
I dunno. I think a flat seat looks alot cooler... You probally want to throw on about a 10deg rise stem of that same length to get a good fit. While you are at re-wrap your bars and raise your hoods. You'll like it, I promise!
I agree 'bout the flat seat, and I have a good bit of stem shoved down the steerer. I'd lowered it to get that cool--and damned uncomfortable--track stance.

I road-raced a looong time ago and trained with a track rider. He used to let me ride one of his sprint bikes. I remember feeling like I could lean over just a bit and kiss the front tire. This is my first roadie in many moons, so I'm still feeling it out. Thanks for the tips. I'll raise the brake hoods, too and see how that feels.

Have you tried bullhorn bars? They look a bit more comfy.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Nate at RIT said:
Raise the bar, level the seat, and leave at least the front on. The bar + seat recommendations are common sense (what good is it to look cool if your crotch hurts you?), the front brake can/will be a lifesaver. Trust me, you want to have a backup in case your chain breaks/throws itself (which will happen at THE worst time.
Chain breaking? Now, when has that ever happened?:sneaky:

Thanks for the advise. I'm also gonna lower the seatpost a tad and see if that helps. Hell, I can't even remember how much knee bend I need at full extension.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm actually considering flat mtb bars when i get around to converting. call me crazy, but roadie bars just aren't that comfortable, and i rarely (if ever) am in the drops.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
the Inbred said:
i'm actually considering flat mtb bars when i get around to converting. call me crazy, but roadie bars just aren't that comfortable, and i rarely (if ever) am in the drops.
If you like riding on the hoods (on drop bars), or on bar ends (on flat bars) seriously try the flip and cut method. Feels like you're resting your hands on the bar ends, but there's a smooth transistion to a neutral wrist position (i.e. not 2 seperate pieces of metal like bar + bar end. And if you get a set of 'cross-top levers, it's easily the best, most natural braking position I've ever felt.