Quantcast

SS specific crankset

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Not sure if this is the place to post this thread, but anyway.

I'm building a city bike, rigid ss. I'm in need of some cranks and noticed that they make SS specific models. Are these sold with a specific bb as well? Interested in opinions and suggestions on what you know. Will I need to run a specific chain type, ie. bmx?

Cheap, not too heavy a+.

I know squat.

EDIT: Running a singlespeed flip-flop hub - bolt on and a Surly Singulator on a Zaskar LE.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Don't be married to the ss specific crank thing. I run LX cranks with an unramped/unpinned chainring in either the middle or outside slot.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by ito
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76876

If you want cheap go with a Truvativ SS crank. I've got one and like it a lot. Stay away from their bottom brackets though, bad news to say the least. You can run a regular(isis) bb and a regular chain.

The Ito
I guess "cheap" is relative. Isn't the Truvativ around $100?

I have an older Truvativ 5D that I run a single ring on. Sure, it's not as sexy, but it gets the job done. Plus, at $15 it was a steal.

edit: Damn! It's been a while since I shopped for a crank. The cheap ones are all around $100. :eek:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by BikeGeek
I guess "cheap" is relative. Isn't the Truvativ around $100?

I have an older Truvativ 5D that I run a single ring on. Sure, it's not as sexy, but it gets the job done. Plus, at $15 it was a steal.

edit: Damn! It's been a while since I shopped for a crank. The cheap ones are all around $100. :eek:
They are a 100? Damn, I picked mine up for 50 with a bottom bracket....of course it's a truvativ bottom bracket so it already died. Slightly used off of a monkey.

The Ito

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by ito
They are a 100? Damn, I picked mine up for 50 with a bottom bracket....of course it's a truvativ bottom bracket so it already died. Slightly used off of a monkey.

The Ito
Yeah, new they're between 100-130 bones.

dookie29

Chimp
Apr 8, 2004
riverside ca usa
I found a set of shimano cranks 15 bucks at jensons grand opening. I used the middle ring, and put on a bash guard.
I ride my ss like once a week, and its not so important for me to have top of the line parts on it.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by dookie29
I found a set of shimano cranks 15 bucks at jensons grand opening. I used the middle ring, and put on a bash guard.
I ride my ss like once a week, and its not so important for me to have top of the line parts on it.
Yeah, I'm looking for something like that too. This is a franken bike, or will be. Something I can lock up on the streets of NYC - not that they don't steal any crappy bike, but I don't want to be out a buttload of money when/if it happens. Just thought the idea of a rock solid ss crankset setup without the fear of skipping a chain and whacking my good stuff into anything overly hard was a good idea.

It's really flat in the city, any guesses as to what ratio I should run? Most likely will use a 32 or 34t front chainring.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
For city riding, I'm using a 42x17. Stiff enough for some speed in the flats, but not so stiff that it kills me on the climbs.

Oh yeah, I'm also running 1.4 slicks. I guess that ratio might be a bit much with knobbies.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by BikeGeek
For city riding, I'm using a 42x17. Stiff enough for some speed in the flats, but not so stiff that it kills me on the climbs.

Oh yeah, I'm also running 1.4 slicks. I guess that ratio might be a bit much with knobbies.
Thanks BG. I'll be running 1.5 slicks. 42 x 17 seems a bit much, but what do I know? I'm sure it's similar terrain wise in DC to NYC. I just do like to spin ya know? Maybe I'll go with something like a 36 x 16. Still dunno. I'm sure I'll experiment. Those DX Shimano cogs are pretty cheap.