Quantcast

ss wheels?

mistaare

Chimp
Dec 22, 2005
ok, i am slowly peicing together a new ride for the spring. its the first time that i am actually picking all the parts. right now i am currently running a 5 year old chameleon w/ marzoccho atom z1. . .

the new ride is going to be an
evil sovereign (long or reg i dont know yet)
forks will MOST likely be an RS pike

now the next part is going to be hubs/wheels. . .

what single speed hubs are you guys running, or are you just getting the conversion kits?

what would you guys suggest? i am hoping to get a wheelset

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Conversion is probably the easiest, but if you're getting wheels made, you might as well get a SS hub. Personally, I prefer the cassette-style SS hubs. It's cheaper to have a couple of different cogs in your toolbox and it's easier to change them out. There's a thread about them here. If you don't mind running a freewheel, Paul and Phil Wood brands come first to mind, but Surly has a decent and cheaper option. The only drawback is finding quality freewheels. I've read poor reviews of a lot of what's available, with the exception being the White Industries. Pricey, but it's supposed to be the best.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Currently Im just cheeting by using a normal deore hub. would not recomend it thou, the free hub body just is not built for the stress of SS use. For rims I have a set of Sun Mammoths. I dig them, nothing fancey but their stong enuff for what i do with my SS (trail and lite free ride) + their wide enuff to fit big tire with out rolling over.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
How long will the Deore hub last?
I just bought a DEORE disk wheelset on Rhino Lights for my SS !

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
mistaare said:
free hub body? whats that?
A freehub is what cassettes run on. The rachet mechanism that allows the sprockets to drive the wheel are inside the hub. The sprockets are then mounted on the freehub. Hubs that require freewheels don't have those mechanisms inside the hub. Instead they are a separate unit built into the sprocket that threads on to the hub.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
bigdrop05 said:
How long will the Deore hub last?
I just bought a DEORE disk wheelset on Rhino Lights for my SS !
well that all depends, the disc ones should be a litte bit stronger then the non disc hub that im using. Pending on how hard you are on the bike it may last you forever, I've had issue with the free hub, its developed allot of play. its about time for me to get a new wheel built.

PepperJester said:
Currently Im just cheeting by using a normal deore hub. would not recomend it thou, the free hub body just is not built for the stress of SS use. For rims I have a set of Sun Mammoths. I dig them, nothing fancey but their stong enuff for what i do with my SS (trail and lite free ride) + their wide enuff to fit big tire with out rolling over.
this is what i am doing, tho my bike has not been ridden yet except for first concept ride int he ally testing my home made spacers. ... have you busted the sproket off of the spindle/spline? or has it held up?

I mean, really, the point is to ride, the secondary point is to do it with cool parts that look cool, but when everything is covered in dirt and mud and you are flying down a trail... who cares as long as it doe not brake mid air right?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
BarbaRosa said:
... have you busted the sproket off of the spindle/spline? or has it held up?
I've been riding on an XT hub with spacers for 3 years with no problems. I would recommend you get a cog with a wide base so that the force is spread out a bit more on the hub spline instead of concentrated in one spot. Surly (steel), Endless (Aluminium), and King (either) all make reasonably priced cogs. They're more expensive than your typical Shimano BMX cog, but, IMHO, worth it.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
BikeGeek said:
I've been riding on an XT hub with spacers for 3 years with no problems. I would recommend you get a cog with a wide base so that the force is spread out a bit more on the hub spline instead of concentrated in one spot. Surly (steel), Endless (Aluminium), and King (either) all make reasonably priced cogs. They're more expensive than your typical Shimano BMX cog, but, IMHO, worth it.
I am with BikeGeek on this one. I have a XT wheelset and a lighter Hugi (hayes superlight) wheelset both laced to mavic 317s. If you use a wide base cog on aluminum cassette bodies your fine. XTs/Deore etc. are steel and can hold a narrower DX cog (they are like 4 bucks each). Wide base like from King and Endless are $25 or more a cog. I like the XT wheels because they act a spare set for my geared rig. Plus, when I want to run lighter weight wheels on my SS I just use the Hayes wheelset. It is easier to change cogs and cassettes than tires. I use PVC as spacers. No fuss no muss.

well i think i will ride it till it breaks. it is deore xt from 1988 and i can not get anything for it anymore anyway for rebuild parts.

once somthing breaks i will then build fully new wheels and the works

i buy my tools that way too, go to harbor fieght use it till it breaks, then up grade that tool, if it breaks, upgrade it again. that way some stuff if not used enough is fine as cheap ****, when i need to i end up with top end tools once i have brokenthe lower grade ****...

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
BarbaRosa said:
well i think i will ride it till it breaks. it is deore xt from 1988 and i can not get anything for it anymore anyway for rebuild parts.

once somthing breaks i will then build fully new wheels and the works

i buy my tools that way too, go to harbor fieght use it till it breaks, then up grade that tool, if it breaks, upgrade it again. that way some stuff if not used enough is fine as cheap ****, when i need to i end up with top end tools once i have brokenthe lower grade ****...
I like your thinking. I use this protocol for my bikes: If it moves spend the money now (usually up to XT level). I don't drop a ton of cash on seatposts, seats, or headsets. I also have scored some deals on good stuff that has many miles left on it.

I assume the XT hub you are using is threaded?

yup, the spine grooves do not fit stuff that i have been able to find, current hubs and such are very different from the 1988 Deore XT comp that came stock on the stumpjumper comp back then. last time i rebuilt my old bike i was able to find parts with life on them in the parts bin used from people doing upgrades... not this time around. heck, 1988... some monkeys here were not even born then when i was riding off the hiking trail at snake mountain in weybridge area vermont....

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
BarbaRosa said:
heck, 1988... some monkeys here were not even born then when i was riding off the hiking trail at snake mountain in weybridge area vermont....
definitely rare for sure. That is the year I started MTBing. So when I see stuff on the Vintage and Retro board over on MTBR, I LOL when I see 1995 Bontragers and the like! I am like WTF? I guess I am vintage and retro. Oh well, just keeping up with the times. Doesn't help when you are forced to buy something new and realize it ain't compatible. Hang on to that old XT stuff, it is cool. Reminds me of my old XT short cage I gave away with my first SS...[sniff sniff].

Cheers.