Quantcast

SS-XC build?

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ok so I know theres the SS-DH thread but I consider this pretty different since its XC vs DH...

Im considering building up a full suspension single speed XC bike, I know the idea of a full boinger cross country rig seems redundant but I think it may work out?

The frame im considering is Specialized 29er (epic or stumpy) besides the big wheels they both also come with a brain, which would help cut down on pedal bob?

Well thats my idea...thoughts, opinions, ideas, etc?

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
My 2 cents: If you're just looking for something different then go for it, but if you're going to be standing and cranking to get up hills, any suspension bob will be magnified and suck the energy out of your climb. Personally, I prefer my ss ride to be fully rigid for efficiency. BTW, my DH bike is ss too, but no pedal mashing up hills so it's not a problem.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I hear ya I currently ride a SS hardtail 29er which is a great bike, I was just thinking if I could get the simplicity blended with suspension it would be awesome but I guess it just doesnt really work when u have to climb

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I hear ya I currently ride a SS hardtail 29er which is a great bike, I was just thinking if I could get the simplicity blended with suspension it would be awesome but I guess it just doesnt really work when u have to climb
The other problem is that you'll still have to run a tensioner, so you loose the advantage of not having anything to rip off the back. I'd just do a 1x9/10.