Quantcast

SST bulldozer date?

Jun 18, 2004
Does anybody know when this place is gonna get the plow?
Is it true it's this week?
I haven't been there in about 2 years and want to ride 1x more...

jgibb83

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
I was there on monday it was still good a little sandy but still good ol SST.
I heard the same thing this week about 6-10 of us are heading out there on thursday for one final sesh.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Does anybody know when this place is gonna get the plow?
Is it true it's this week?
I haven't been there in about 2 years and want to ride 1x more...

The bulldozer is parked at the cross-road as you pedal towards the Flow Park; they've started tearing up the place already.There are warning signs up at the beginning or end of various trails; they started tearing up the side of the hill next to the Rock Drop.

It's getting late in the season to begin construction, especially since there are a lot sensitive areas near by. As such the most they'll do is log the site and come back in April/May for major earthwork operations.

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
I spoke with Penny Bartley of SCORE (an independent administration agency and is a separate legal entity from the 7 participating cities), and they are starting to clear the site. Right now they are clearing the property line in order to install a fence. The fence should be installed next week.

Once the fence is in, they will further clear within the fence area and begin work to connect storm water and sewer connections and finally site grading. This will take until October.

Access to South SeaTac park itself should not be impacted. I know they have been doing test infiltration pits along 18th. This work should be nearing completion and not interfere with the rest of the Park itself.

Please know that Evergreen is working with Wick and Lisa Miller from the Indie Series to address the issue. Evergreen is working on a proposal to expand riding access in the are and potentially relocate the flow park. I will keep folks informed as we move forward with this.

I know it sucks y'all. A lot of us got our chops riding the flow park. It will be missed!

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Turtle what day were you there?
It was fine on monday.
The park was rocking today,but you had to squeeze past the bulldozer to get there. They took a little more of the hillside next to the rock drop and tore up the cross road that heads up hill after you pass the staging area. I talked with Wick two weeks ago and he was under the impression the Wednesday night races would continue; they raced last night.

I'm still not clear on the exact location and boundaries of the building site and I haven't seen anything specific posted up.

jgibb83

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
SST last night was a great session lots of peeps getting there groove on it was fun.
Hope its not the end but it looks grim....

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
It is final. My friend is at the flowpark as I type. Trees and jumps are being bulldozed down my fellow park lovers. It is a sad day! Think I will have to have a few drinkies to all the awesome sessions I had out there over the years. I hope to hear of a replacement place soon on this forum. I definitely will be looking for places to build.

Aug 7, 2009
Renton
Yep, it's true. I was there this afternoon and watched as trees were knocked down and all the features destroyed. Here are some pics I took while the trees were falling. :(

jgibb83

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
I have to say Thursday was a great sesh and I'm glad I got one more in before the f***** prison gets built.
That prison better sit right on top of the flow park if some cross trail ends up there in the future that will suck.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sad day for every mountain biker. Even if you didn't ride there, this still negatively impacts everybody.

i don't think anyone ever figured the trails would close from development. A freeway yes, city gubment people freaking out, maybe, hell even a crashing plane would have been more possible than a jail. i mean really, a jail, wtf?

It looks like Toy Tree and Bridges Trails at Lake Sawyer are next. Japanese Gulch, Griffin eventually. It's lame...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Went by there yesterday to see it in person and all I can say is wow. The two bigger doubles are still at the very top, but that's about it. They cleared a hell of a lot of woods in just over a week. Looking pretty surreal.

I can't help but feel for the local residents that have to live there knowing there's a jail next door...and their property value will likely drop as well.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I can't help but feel for the local residents that have to live there knowing there's a jail next door...and their property value will likely drop as well.
Andy this is more my concern then the years and impact Seatac had on my riding and getting to know other riders (yourself included) My friends own a house about two blocks away and have a 1.5yr old little boy. Most of the neighborhood is children and families. There is an elementary school and middle school less then a mile away. VERY bad planning. There are other places to jump but the flow park will always have a special place in my heart.

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
i liked sst had a lil bit of everything. im going there today on my xc bike. and the ****ed thing is they have a lot of land that was not being used on the other side of the paved walk way. it makes me angry and wana go build illegal trails. and the city dosent give a hoot about property value or the little kids. far as they are concerned the justice system will have 65% percent of people ither in jail or in the system under a conviction. and the city is not building the jail. jails are built by private investors so they can make bank off of those convictions. every 24 hours a felon is in jail the jail gets 450.00 and every 24 hours a kid busted for a misdemeanor the jail gets 250.00.