Quantcast

SST Trail on TV NOW!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Turn to channel 13 Fox!
Cool i just turned it on, i was down there and they flashed the camera to me, but i flashed the shocker so i doubt i made the cut...:yes:

Anyways... thanks to those that came out, there was a real good turnout, glad so many mt. bikers from across the spectrum represented. Was so nice seeing John Lang and Jon Kennedy out there working the booth, and i'm pretty sure all the mucky mucks from "gubment" are totally clued into our presence there now, which is good!

South Seatac has literally flied under the radar or under the flight path rather... It's pretty obvious that we're too late for the jail to not be put in, but we're doing a real good job in showing them the value of recreation down there. That kind of eye opener will hopefully get us better opportunity? So if we lose, maybe down the road we ALL win?

i think that's what we all hope and will work for, right?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That was the Tacoma City Manager that was interviewed if I was not mistaken. At least one politician was out there in support of the area. :yes:
i talked with Kennedy at the Evergreen booth and he was real upbeat. He said many of the government officials that showed like to ride bikes themselves. i think if we all get behind the efforts of mountain bikers working hard out there behind the scenes, there will be opportunity to preserve trails and expand for better trails that will not be developed. All the people who showed out there tonight whether they wanted to or not had a positive impact, sometimes it's just that simple...

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I am out of town and was wondering if there was any focus on flow park. Or, is this where the jail is supposed to go?

jgibb83

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
None.
I was yelled at when I asked if the park and city officals could make it down to the flow park to see the turnout. The flow park & softies in his mind is a black eye on the park and he did not want them to see it.

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
I am out of town and was wondering if there was any focus on flow park. Or, is this where the jail is supposed to go?
Yes, SeaPig, the jail is set to be built directly on top of the flow park. Basically from 18th (main road going to the flowpark from 200th) west and 208th (the road paralleling the flowpark that everyone uses to get back to the top) southward.

The Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance has been working with Wick and Lisa Miller (from the Indie Series) to address the issue with SCORE (the multi-jurisdictional, independent administration tasked with managing the facility. The agency and is a separate legal entity from the 7 participating cities… which include the cities of Auburn, Burien, Des Moines, Federal Way, Renton, SeaTac, and Tukwila. We’re also talking with the Cities of Des Moines and Sea Tac and the Port independently to work through the process. The jail is immanent (final City Council vote in 7/9/2009) but we believe that the majority of the parks trail system can be salvaged and potentially expanded. It is also our mission to relocate the flow park as this is just as valuable an amenity to the community as anything else there.

“I was yelled at when I asked if the park and city officials could make it down to the flow park to see the turnout. The flow park & softies in his mind is a black eye on the park and he did not want them to see it.” - Originally Posted by jgibb83

I believe what you (jgibb83) may be referring to is the recent accident out at the flowpark which has the City of Des Moines on the defensive as they are tasked with potentially dealing with any legal issues that may arise from this. I am not totally up to date on the issue as it’s not really public but I have heard rumblings of such. I also can’t speak to the fact that you were yelled at as that’s not cool but regardless, whether the camera was on the XC race or the flowpark, we’re all in this together and will all benefit from the work here.

The whole thing is a tricky issue. SST as we know it is on a number of parcels split up between the Cities of Sea Tac, Des Moines, the Port of Seattle and even some DOT land. Wick (event coordinator and race promoter at SST) and I have walked the other adjacent properties nearby and would like to see the cities grant us access to construct new trail including permission for a new flowpark. The Port property north of the site is already identified for future development after a wetlands designation expires sometime next year. But there is great potential on the opposite side of the creek due south of the softies.

The turn out last night was spectacular and thanks to all who came to show their support. The key is not to fight the facility (as all of the municipalities are behind this and the last we thing we want is to get on their bad side), but rather to use this as an impetus to potentially turn the other parcels out there into a designated park space and gain access to build new trail and a new flow park.

Evergreen, Wick and Lisa will continue talking with SCORE and the various municipalities involved to see if we can come up with an amicable solution for the mountain bike and surrounding communities.

jgibb83

Chimp
Sep 29, 2008
Jon that was all I was trying to say was it is important that as people that love riding bikes, building bikes & racing bikes that a new flow park be part of the plan. That was it.
The work evergreen has done at Colonnade and now at Duthie is just awsome to me. Now that evergreen is working with the city of Redmond to make the dirt jumps at Hartmen park a legal place for bmx and MTB will realy help the cause.
I had no idea about the legal issues with the softies & SST flow park but I have to say if the riding spot is legal or illegal riders need to look at trails before they ride them full speed and take responsibility for there own actions if they go down.
Working with the city and getting on and staying on there good side is big deal if you ever want anything done I totally agree. Its there game and there rules.

talusslope

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
sst, WA
and anyway we could all ways just build a new flowpark either on the hill coming down form the cemetery, or across the other street (that so many of us park on) from the golf course. 'Cause as an airsoft player over there I know that they only use the top of and back of that hill, and the front side is only used by 4x4's that the cops dunt like there any way.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Nothing about the flow park in there. =(
Probably because they couldn't get past the 3 million racers to see it. Probably because it's not built to any sort of safety standard. Turning a blind eye keeps it around a little longer?... and don't think that effort won't be made to make a legit replacement. i wouldn't shed too many tears, just back the people that are moving towards a replacement be that whoever is moving and shaking.

Last edited: