Quantcast

Sstalder5's New Zealand Adventure Thread

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Oh and the bus ride was pretty cool. 11 hours through NZ countryside. I probably saw 50,000 sheep between here and Auckland. And I picked up the new Bear Grylls book "Mud, Sweat, and Tears" before I left and read almost all of it on the bus. Great read.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I forgive you for not posting pics. I may never forgive you for posting this thread of awesome adventure 20 years to late for me too come with. :shakefist:
20 years too late my arse!!
My 74year old mother is of for 3 weeks hiking in Borneo next month, to be followed by a road trip in china and then Croatian coast to Prague in September this year..... 20 years too late?.... Bullsh*t.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
20 years too late my arse!!
My 74year old mother is of for 3 weeks hiking in Borneo next month, to be followed by a road trip in china and then Croatian coast to Prague in September this year..... 20 years too late?.... Bullsh*t.
Abandoning my 6 & 8 year olds, thet missus and the dog to ride buses across a foreign country for 3 months isn't an option at this point. Something about statutes, laws, blah, blah, blah...

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Went for a liquid dinner with DaveW last night. We went to this "beer cult" called Hashigo Zake and it was the coolest bar I've been to so far. I had a few good IPAs, a blonde, and a stout. They were all pretty tasty and cost the same as a Steinlager in Auckland.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Haven't updated this in a while.. Had an awesome week in Wellington!! It was probably my favorite stop so far. After I met up with DaveW he hooked me up and let me borrow his sick SS hardtail for some really good riding at Makara Peak bike park. Super smooth, flowy trails, except for Ridgeline, which was just down right scary. Then I spent the rest of the week partying way too hard with some awesome roommates I had in the backpackers. (one cute Aussie girl in particular :brows:) We bar crawled wednesday-saturday night and went to the museum and dragon boat races during the days along with some other random stuff. Then I woke up at 7 this morning on an hour of sleep and hopped on a plane still drunk to Queenstown. Oh and one of my roommates was Chilean and brought a bottle of this stuff called pisco and shared it with everyone. It's some variation of brandywine only produced in Peru and Chile, and it's really good with coke. They call it Piscola and they have a national holiday for it in Chile.

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
Heading out right now to ride DH at Qtown bike park. You should be jealous. I'll try to take some pictures, but if I start having too much fun I'll probably forget.
not really it will be all muddy after the rain last night. wednesday is my pick of the week weather wise and the trails should be dry again by then.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
not really it will be all muddy after the rain last night. wednesday is my pick of the week weather wise and the trails should be dry again by then.
Remind me not to ride DH with you. Dry trails suck.

The trails were perfect. Just enough wet to make the berms super tacky. I only fell hard once but I got right back up and kept riding. I came into a clearing too hot and busted my ass over an embankment with a group of about 10 people standing around in the clearing that saw it. I took pictures of where I fell I'll post them up later. Other than that it was an awesome day! I've never been in the air so much on a DH bike! So much fun! The only complaint I have about the rental bike is that it had a Marz 888 on it that weighed a ton and the brakes sucked, they were old elixers that had definitely seen their better days.

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
i like dry trails and hate cleaning my bike.

any ways the trails should be fun tomorrow afternoon wet or dry. and i can buy nice beer in arrowtown on the way over as well.

also you should try freg burger some of the best burgers around.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
The trails were fantastic yesterday, i was up there on an '05 sx trail.

If you get a group of 2-4 people I can get you a great deal flying into Milford Sound. You have to see Milford while you're down here, and the flight out there is spectacular. The weather tomorrow should be perfect, and you can be back in town by 2pm, just in time for the half day lift ticket.

Can't get this stupid pic to work right. Here's the Milford approach:
http://gyazo.com/ef1ebfabb3cb418f14d27d6bbc527576.png?1332214495

edit: if you fly with me I'll point out all the best trails from the air.

Last edited: