Quantcast

St Anne 2011!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I was just over on the notubes website trying to do a bit of research when I found this:

"When running a tubeless system some of these standards are not safe. If the drop channel is too deep the tire will fit
loose while uninflated. This loose fit will make inflating tubeless very difficult, but of greater concern is safety. If you get
a large cut in a tire while riding
, the tire will deflate rapidly and, because it is a loose fit, may work its way off the rim
before you come to a complete stop
which will drastically impair handling. BST rims and other rims designed for tubeless
use will have a shallower drop channel to prevent this."
given that we now know Gee was running a DT rim, this sounds exactly like what happened to him.... link

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
It's true, getting tubeless tyres on/off a Flow with a rimstrip is much harder than getting them on/off a Mavic 823.

Also, in my experience 823s high sidewalls have a tendency to cut the tyre just above the bead (with Maxxis UST/DPC). No such issue using Michelin tyres - they seem a bit tougher at that point.

Flow rims are great, until you ding them. And boy do they ding/flatspot easily. Well, compared to an 823 anyway.

Never used DT, but I imagine it's the worst bits of both worlds - deep channel/high sides and soft as Stan's cheese :D

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
Never used DT, but I imagine it's the worst bits of both worlds - deep channel/high sides and soft as Stan's cheese :D
I don't ride tubeless but it's really hard to get a tire (Maxxis, Schwalbe or Conti) on my DT Swiss FR2350's and I've also rode them with a flat tire without problems.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I think all of this tire stuff is kinda funny. You'd think nobody has ever flatted in a race before!

I'm really not sure that much of a conclusion can be drawn about the pros/cons of tubeless based on Gee's one flat tire in this race. There were like 10 other guys that had flats. Were they tubeless or not? 70 guys did finish the race, what tires were they on? Then beyond that, is one way faster than the other? Maybe the more durable option is slower.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wanna see Gee cross the finish line 30 seconds faster than anyone, riding on his hubs, with his bike on fire, a full size pine stree stuck in his collarbone and him screaming "god save the fvcking queen!!!" at the top of his lungs while ramming through the finsh corral right through the back wall.

I'm not even english or a particularly big fan of anyone but I'd just like to see that at this point. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I wanna see Gee cross the finish line 30 seconds faster than anyone, riding on his hubs, with his bike on fire, a full size pine stree stuck in his collarbone and him screaming "god save the fvcking queen!!!" at the top of his lungs while ramming through the finsh corral right through the back wall.

I'm not even english or a particularly big fan of anyone but I'd just like to see that at this point. :D
but. but. but... if he were riding on his hubs, then he couldn't pedal?!

:D

agreed though. he seems to work very hard. it's gotta be dissapointing to have the luck he's been having when he works so hard for it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think all of this tire stuff is kinda funny. You'd think nobody has ever flatted in a race before!

I'm really not sure that much of a conclusion can be drawn about the pros/cons of tubeless based on Gee's one flat tire in this race. There were like 10 other guys that had flats. Were they tubeless or not? 70 guys did finish the race, what tires were they on? Then beyond that, is one way faster than the other? Maybe the more durable option is slower.
The e-spec is based on the fact that we only know of Gee being the SINGULAR soul in the top 10 testing Continentals in tubeless. And he of all people's tire popped off unprovoked.

No pics of a monstrously ovalized or even subtly ovalized rim either. And from the disgust in his voice, it's not hard even for a dedicated e-rider to hear the frustration from him.

He made no mention of losing air (cut or broken seal at the rim from a dent). I think it's safe to say it blew off.

The only thing we in the e-riding lab cannot nail down is what led to it....tire or rim. :thumb: