Quantcast

St. Edwards parking issues

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
This is Trailhacker (too lazy to log out of snacks).
I was in talking to Jeff at Finn Hill bikes on Saturday. He was telling us that he’s been getting flack from his landlord, because his landlord is getting flack from Bartell’s – both the Finn Hill location and the corporate offices - about mt. bikers parking in the parking lot.

Apparently they feel that the reason for their lack-luster sales is due to mt. bikers taking all the parking spots from their customers. Jeff’s landlord understands that almost all the bikers park along the front edge or in other out of the way places. He also knows that either way Jeff has no control over where anyone parks, least of all people who never even enter his store, but Bartell’s is pretty insistent that this is a problem.

I guess too many of you are spending money at the Shell station on gas, the QFC, Subway and teriyaki place on post ride replenishment and not enough in Bartell’s on band-aids and bactine. Your local drug store my a**!!!

Jeff pointed out that there is a lot of parking on the far side of the bank and a ton of spaces behind the complex. Just drive around the fitness place and you will see many parking spots that are almost always empty (we counted at least 30 on Saturday).

When you ride at St. eddy’s if you could take this into consideration, you would be doing Jeff and possibly yourselves a pretty big favor. Did I mention that Bartell’s management has already started calling to have cars towed, but I think they start running into a problem of proving which cars are customers and which ones aren’t.

I understand that the BBTC (and I haven’t seen this for myself so I apologize if I’m wrong) asks for people meeting to ride at St Eddy’s to meet in the parking lot. I am pretty sure some people here are part of the BBTC so if you could pass this on to your members this would be much appreciated.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Every time I have been there the parkinglot has had tons of empty spots between the street edge (where MTBr's park) and the store....so I am sure there is lots of capacity for Bartell customers. I have purchased liquids from the grocery store....even had my hair cut (I was about a half an hour early) one time.....maybe we should all go in and introduce ourselves to the Bartell MGT. :rolleyes: Make a new buddy.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Why don't you just pay the $5 to actually park in St. Edwards and help support the area that you like to ride in. I can't believe everyone is upset over this. I can just hear you all crying now when they start closing state parks because of lack of funding, which is a very serious issue for them.

Look at it this way. Say you rent an apartment which includes a parking space, but someone always takes your parking place and leaves you without a spot, even though you paid for one. You'd be pretty ticked off as well wouldn't you?

The reason why the landlord has contacted Jeff is because he knows he is contact with the local MTB community. As the original post says, he is not blaming Jeff, just conveying the problem and I'm guessing hoping that Jeff can spread the word to people who come in his shop or post a flyer in his window or something.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
If I buy a soda and then hit the trail I am a customer....and if he towed me I would be a little p.o.'d

I don't even know is there a park pass? Like at the national forest? I know you can park on the street if it is an issue for you....park on the QFC side on the street that crosses Juanita Drive.

As far as location I enjoy the QFC parking lot as opposed to the park .....mainly because I don't start out climbing (go out towards Kirkland an ride rolling trails) but finish off with a little climb back up from St Ed's, as I head back to my truck. I have tried it and jsut can't stand the ST Ed's parking and facility...probably because you can't ride a good part of the trails on the lake side of the "park"/fields

Honeywell said:
As the original post says, he is not blaming Jeff, just conveying the problem and I'm guessing hoping that Jeff can spread the word to people who come in his shop or post a flyer in his window or something.
"He was telling us that he’s been getting flack from his landlord, because his landlord is getting flack from Bartell’s – both the Finn Hill location and the corporate offices - about mt. bikers parking in the parking lot."

That doesn't sound like 'conveying a problem'. If that what Bartell's wanted to do, they could easily walk into the shop and 'convey the problem' in person, not pressure the landlord to pressure the shop.

I'm sure if Bartell's would just put signs in the lot, "Bartell Customer Parking Only".....90% of voilators would park somewhere else.

On the other hand, I completly agree with you about paying the $5 to park and supporting the cause. I just don't like how bartell's has gone about trying to solve this....I mean THEIR problem.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Honeywell said:
Why don't you just pay the $5 to actually park in St. Edwards and help support the area that you like to ride in. I can't believe everyone is upset over this. I can just hear you all crying now when they start closing state parks because of lack of funding, which is a very serious issue for them.
I pay taxes that pay for the maintance of the park.

I don't think we are upset about paying for parking in the park. I don't remember in any of the previous post in this thread anyone complaining about paying $5 to park at the park.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
RhinofromWA said:
If I buy a soda and then hit the trail I am a customer....and if he towed me I would be a little p.o.'d

I don't even know is there a park pass? Like at the national forest? I know you can park on the street if it is an issue for you....park on the QFC side on the street that crosses Juanita Drive.

As far as location I enjoy the QFC parking lot as opposed to the park .....mainly because I don't start out climbing (go out towards Kirkland an ride rolling trails) but finish off with a little climb back up from St Ed's, as I head back to my truck. I have tried it and jsut can't stand the ST Ed's parking and facility...probably because you can't ride a good part of the trails on the lake side of the "park"/fields
There is, http://www.parks.wa.gov/parking/ $50 is kinda steep but it helps support the parks.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Snacks said:
I pay taxes that pay for the maintance of the park.

I don't think we are upset about paying for parking in the park. I don't remember in any of the previous post in this thread anyone complaining about paying $5 to park at the park.
Okay, I'll admit I jumped to conclusions on why people park in the QFC lot, like Rhino said, it's convenient for some.

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
PsychO!1 said:
"He was telling us that he’s been getting flack from his landlord, because his landlord is getting flack from Bartell’s – both the Finn Hill location and the corporate offices - about mt. bikers parking in the parking lot."

That doesn't sound like 'conveying a problem'. If that what Bartell's wanted to do, they could easily walk into the shop and 'convey the problem' in person, not pressure the landlord to pressure the shop.

I'm sure if Bartell's would just put signs in the lot, "Bartell Customer Parking Only".....90% of voilators would park somewhere else.

On the other hand, I completly agree with you about paying the $5 to park and supporting the cause. I just don't like how bartell's has gone about trying to solve this....I mean THEIR problem.
Yes, it is their problem, but at the same time, why should they have to pay out of their own pocket to fix the problem?

Going back to my apartment analogy, let's say this time that there's a leaking pipe and it's getting my stuff wet and ruining it. Why should I have to pay out of my own pocket to fix the problem? I pay rent for a reason and that's why the landlord should fix the problem.

I do agree though, Jeff is kind of guilty by association on this one, and the landlord should takes steps to solve this problem on his own.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Honeywell said:
I do agree though, Jeff is kind of guilty by association on this one, and the landlord should takes steps to solve this problem on his own.
Yes, the landlord should slove this problem.

The main reason for posting this is to give everyone the heads up that your car might get towed if you park in the front parking lot, not to blame any parties.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
As mentioned above,please park North of the bank,along the white fence.Behind the Gym,where it is WIDE open with parking spaces or on the surounding surface streets.People have been parking in this parking lot long before there was a bike shop here,and will continue long after I'm gone(hopefully) The bike shop provides a focal point for the "anti-bike community" atop the hill to focus there complaints and issues.Every time someone speeds by a hiker we hear about it,same goes for stunts being built,jumps being built,bikes out in traffic etc. etc. etc.All of which we have NO control over as much as I try. Yes it comes with the territory,I accept that......but fer Christs sake enough already!!!!!!!!! As I amass my fortune as a LBS owner,I find it troublesome all these distractions!!

J/K...........See ya on the trail..........Jeff