Quantcast

Staccato 8

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
E.13 doesn't make bikes, so a 2013i would be made by Evil. Yeah, but at the same time, Dave doesn't work for Evil anymore. Maybe it's something no one expected, like.... a new kind of dishwasher soap.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If witty codenames mean anything, I'd lean more towards a gearbox.

here's what wikipedia says:
In musical notation, the Italian word staccato (literally detached, plural staccatos or staccati) indicates that notes are separated in a detached and distinctly separate manner, with silence making up the latter part of the time allocated to each note.[1] The rhythm is not affected. Notes identified as staccato are often played or sung abruptly and short.
Sounds kinda gearbox-ish

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i bet they're new improved spokey dokes that are 10% louder then the previous models and 30% more vivid colors

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
If witty codenames mean anything, I'd lean more towards a gearbox.

here's what wikipedia says:

Sounds kinda gearbox-ish
I'll bet anything it's a pedal, one that "detaches" in a new way. Looks like it disassembles vertically like a hamburger. The picture is an exploded view. You can see the axle at 2 o'clock The upper and lower halves in green above and below the "guts". The bearings, seals etc. are in red, the pins (8, i'm guessing) are the little dots floating above and below. The big dark area in the lower left is a shadow.

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Staccato 8 sounds like an awesome deli sandwich, maybe with some grilled and marinated artichokes and eggplant, fontina cheese, sundried tomatoes, prosciutto or capicolla ham, maybe a roasted garlic aioli...

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I haven't been involved with the company for a couple years now, so I don't know for sure what it is, but having been in business with Dave for years, I'm guessing it's a pedal. Here's why:

1. Dave's wanted to do pedals for a very long time, but his designs were always so far outside the box that none of the traditional pedal mfrs could figure out how to make them cost-effectively (most mass produced pedals start as an extrusion, so simply going to a standard machine shop wouldn't work).
2. Dave is a Solid Works maniac, and he always likes to do up exploded views of his creations. The image in that pic looks very much like a color-coded exploded view of a pedal.

Now, again, I have no way of confirming any of this, but it seems pretty logical. Would I bet my mortgage on it? No (although I did one time remortgage casa del John P. for a run of imperial frames and chainguides . . . talk about some sleepless nights!).

In any event, I'll be curious to see how it all turns out.

--JP

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Dammit! I can never see those things!

I'm changing my guess- I think it's the worlds most advanced bicycle bell ever made. It probably will take 10 seconds off your time when rung, can be heard even under water and has the option of a cool Rammstein reverb effect. I will be ordering two, one for each hand. It will be glorious.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Dammit! I can never see those things!

I'm changing my guess- I think it's the worlds most advanced bicycle bell ever made. It probably will take 10 seconds off your time when rung, can be heard even under water and has the option of a cool Rammstein reverb effect. I will be ordering two, one for each hand. It will be glorious.
It can also be heard in space.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
when rung, it summons Sam Hill who magically appears in a puff of green monster energy vapor and eyebrow mousse. He will then stop time and give line advice on whatever section you happen to be riding at the time. If it's your race run, he will also give you a quick push to get you going before he starts time again.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Looks like an exploded view of a pedal that has removable top/bottom flat sections.

Maybe there are different, replaceable color options? Sick of one color, just buy a new set. Or mix and match top/bottoms.

That's my guess.