Quantcast

Stage 15

L

luelling

Wow, Vino gets another one. Maybe he can win the next TT as well. I'm hedging my bets on Contador winning the tour....that rookie is doing an awsome job. He is also a lot better at the TT than Rasmussen

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is Contador a LOT BETTER than Ras at TT? Didn't Contador only finish a minute ahead in the last TT?

Seems like DSC is taking a two-headed monster approach in trying to break Ras, but Ras doesn't look like he's going to break. If he wins, it'll be a great victory considering he doesn't have anywhere the kind of support (eg. George and Popo) that DSC does.

While I can't imagine Vino making up 20+ minutes by the end, the guy is amazing. His determination and willpower is to be admired.

L

luelling

Alright, you got me...not a LOT better, but better. He tried to break free today, but Rasmussen kept with him the entire time. I'm amazed that he can attack, attack, attack and still do well on the stage. Most people would pop attacking that much. Yesterday was pretty amazing, there were a lot of attacks to try and split the group and he goes out today and attacks again. Much respect

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
1. Why couldnt vino have attacked like that yesterday... he'd be winning right now if he had... I know its not cuz he was tired from the TT... he was surely more tired from dying yesterday.

2. If levi could work on hitting the gas he could be winning right now as well. He seems so fragile.

3. I don't like Rassmussen any more. Shmething funny about him.

I'm totally pulling for Contador. I like what he was doing today... just continuously sticking it to Rass. Disco has the power to isolate Rass, Wednesday is the day.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Cadel looks to be done, unless he can pull a miracle in 16 and get back within a couple minutes of the lead. Ah well, at least he has a good shot at the podium, and the knowledge that he did it with basically no support from teammates.

L

luelling

Cadel looks to be done, unless he can pull a miracle in 16 and get back within a couple minutes of the lead. Ah well, at least he has a good shot at the podium, and the knowledge that he did it with basically no support from teammates.
Yeah, Horner wasn't any help. I was impressed with how he followed the attacks yesterday, but ultimately that was probably the reason he was dropped.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm totally pulling for Contador. I like what he was doing today... just continuously sticking it to Rass. Disco has the power to isolate Rass, Wednesday is the day.
I agree, but I was expecting more attacks, earlier. By the time Contador started attacking, there wasn't enough hill left to get serious time. They had the firepower to isolate Ras much earlier - Boogard and Menchov are good but not that good. I was waiting for Levi to take his shot, or a one-two with Levi and Popo launching attacks to wear down Rasmussen before letting Contador punch it.

When you have the numbers that is the way to do it, but instead they rode tempo, letting Rabo control the pace. I guess Disco still thinks Levi can move up in the standings with the final TT, but I can't help but think they should have put Ras on the ropes more than they did.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...or a one-two with Levi and Popo launching attacks to wear down Rasmussen before letting Contador punch it.
Exactly.

If Levi can't attack on his own cuz he specializes in grinding it out, then have Popo lead him out, especially into a headwind.

Then have George lead out Contador behind.

Rotate until Popo and George can't do it anymore, then Levi fake an attack like he's already done with Contador sneaking by the defending Ras.

Before you know it. Levi and Contador are sharing first and second place.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Exactly.

If Levi can't attack on his own cuz he specializes in grinding it out, then have Popo lead him out, especially into a headwind.

Then have George lead out Contador behind.

Rotate until Popo and George can't do it anymore, then Levi fake an attack like he's already done with Contador sneaking by the defending Ras.

Before you know it. Levi and Contador are sharing first and second place.
I think it had more to do with it not being an uphill finish. You put him on the ropes on the last climb today, he still goes over in a group with Contador on his own or with George ahead by a little bit. There is a good chance the bigger group is going draw back some if not all of the lost time (think stage 9). With a huge energy output to gain little or nothing. However, with a finish on an uphill you put him on the ropes he is going to lose a crap load of time.

I have a feeling that Wednesday will have the all out attack on Chicken, probably by a lot more than just Discovery. Kloden and Evans are going to be looking to get closer for the time trial and the only way to do that is to put Chicken in difficulty. Though what will probably happen will be that they will sit on their thumbs (because both of them have shown themselves to be big do nothings) waiting for Discovery to do the job for them.

In the end I get this weird idea that Johan knows what he is doing.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wednesday is going to be sick.

Coming a day after a rest day adds another element, since some people do well and others not so well after a day off.

I'll go ahead and predict Contador for the win overall. Not exactly going out on a limb there but still. If Ras doesn't lose yellow on Wed., he'll lose it after the TT (if he doesn't get kicked out of the race for being a dopey asshat first). I expect Levi to get some time on Cadel on Wednesday, big question is whether he can kick butt in the TT and end up on the podium. It would be pretty cool to see two disco guys on the podium.

L

luelling

Contador said:
"I attacked Rasmussen to try to challenge him," said Contador. "I saw that he was a little worse than yesterday, but he was able to follow me. On Wednesday, I am going to play for it all. Second place doesn't matter. I am going to risk all to win. If I end up in sixth, it doesn't matter."
I've got a lot of respect for this guy. I hope he makes his move and it works.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/details/articles/12890.0.html

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
In the end I get this weird idea that Johan knows what he is doing.
Yeah, me too.
It would be pretty cool to see two disco guys on the podium.
That'd be awesome. Tho I fully admit that I'm a total homer and would prefer Levi (the american) to be #1.
I've got a lot of respect for this guy. I hope he makes his move and it works.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/details/articles/12890.0.html
Very cool. He seems like a good kid and future captain and multiple tour winner for Disco.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Is anyone else following the Team Competition?

Do you think AST and DSC care about it?
I think Discovery has bigger fish to fry, and if either team gets it, it'll be more of a consolation prize. However, DSC winning it could make the hunt for next year's title sponsor a bit easter.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Obviously you've never blown up on a ride.

Am I the only one that thinks Vino took it easy yesterday an purposely lost time? If he hadn't there is no way they would have let him break away and win today. I think he sat back and rested, he didn't look to be suffering when he fell back. Even if he kicked ass the rest of the tour there was no way he could have gotten on the podium, why fight in the pack with the 'also finished' guys when you can get glory on stage wins. He can still go for the win on Wednesdays stage and the GC guys won't care. At this point he could win two TT's and two mountain stages, much better than just coming in 4th.

L

luelling

Is anyone else following the Team Competition?

Do you think AST and DSC care about it?
On the day Vino popped (yesteday?) his team was fighting for team points. Two of his teammates caming sprinting into the finish area looking to help in the team classification. If they can win the team classification, and have a few stage wins it will look good for their sponsor

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wasn't he like 8 minutes back before the stage he blew up on?

I think that's close enough for someone like him to keep competing, yeah?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Rassmussen will lose time, perhaps the jersey on Wednesday to Contador. Then I predict total TT implosion for Rass. That last TT he did was the ride of his life and he STILL lost time to other contenders. He's going to lose at least three minutes in the TT, probably more.

Paris will look like this:
1-Contador
2-Kloden
3-Rassmussen...maybe Leipheimer

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think Chicken might be able to win it. He will lose time on the TT but contador is not a TT expert and Evans is too far behind.

L

luelling

my prediction:
1 - Contador
2 - Rassmussen
3 - Evans

Evans would have to give one hell of a time trial and Rassmussen would have to implode (not that it hasn't happened) for him to be any further down than second. The time trial is really going to be intense, like the Tour Lemond won by a few seconds.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think Ras has enough time that unless he implodes/crashes on the TT, he wins if he's leading by 2 minutes going into the TT.

Ras
Contador
Levi
Kloden

Or

Contador
Levi
Kloden

:D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
After reading some of the velonews and cyclingnews coverage I have a feeling that most of the peleton is looking to throttle a chicken about the whole "gone missing" thing.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/news/articles/12882.0.html

http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/news/articles/12889.0.html

Does potentially bring some perspective to Millar going to the front and riding so hard the other day eventhough Mayo was sucking....

Johan says to get to Chicken you have to kill his team. I still think Discovery will have to shoulder the load but sure makes it interesting to see what develops. I think that they may leave Levi to do his thing so even if Contador blows himself up, it simply moves Levi into a podium position.

As for Wednesday, I will be "working" from home and watching live.

L

luelling

Johan says to get to Chicken you have to kill his team. I still think Discovery will have to shoulder the load but sure makes it interesting to see what develops. I think that they may leave Levi to do his thing so even if Contador blows himself up, it simply moves Levi into a podium position.
Disco have proven they have the team to take on Rabobank. When the chicken used his team up today Disco still had three people to Rasmussen. I bet they drive hard with Popo and Hincapie and then leave, as you said, Levi to do his own thing and try to launch Contador to victory.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
On the day Vino popped (yesteday?) his team was fighting for team points. Two of his teammates caming sprinting into the finish area looking to help in the team classification. If they can win the team classification, and have a few stage wins it will look good for their sponsor
They don't care about thier sponsor, Discovery isn't renewing, but with 3 in the top 10 right now it looks good to pick up a new sponsor, just wondering who it will be.

The question for Disco next year becomes who is the leader next year, Levi or Contador, then come 2009 when they get Basso back, it will be absolutely sick.

L

luelling

They don't care about thier sponsor, Discovery isn't renewing, but with 3 in the top 10 right now it looks good to pick up a new sponsor, just wondering who it will be.

The question for Disco next year becomes who is the leader next year, Levi or Contador, then come 2009 when they get Basso back, it will be absolutely sick.

My bad, shoulda been more specific. I was talking about Astana not Disco. I agree with you on Disco though

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The fact that Disco's sponsorship is ending makes it even more necessary for the team to look good and deliver results. I have no doubt that the team will continue, but I would also bet that whatever deals are in the works depend in part on how they do this year.

Contador has shown he is the only one who can beat Rasmussen. I expect the team to ride for him, with the exception of Levi who will also be protected as long as he can hang. If the selection is the same tomorrow as the last couple of days, in the end it will be up to Contador to get time in the mountains - none of the other team guys have been able to put Ras into difficulty. Levi will limit his losses and hope for a kickass TT, which he is definitely capable of doing.

Contador FTW!